EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY Noordwijkerhout Netherlands
2 weeks ago
Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Closing Date: 6 September 2023 23:59 CET/CEST
Internal & External
Date Posted: 26 July 2023
Vacancy in the Directorate of Science.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale .
We are looking for an Experiment System Engineer for the Planetary Exploration and Solar Systems Missions Section (SCI-FEP) within the PRODEX Office (SCI-FE), Future Missions Department (SCI-F), Directorate of Science.
PRODEX is an optional programme dedicated to the development of scientific instruments and experiments for space science... missions. Within the PRODEX Office, the Planetary Exploration and Solar Systems Missions Section (SCI-FEP) is responsible for addressing a subset of PRODEX activities, in particular the implementation and monitoring of activities and developments related to the solar and planetary exploration ESA missions (e.g. PLATO, Envision, Comet Interceptor), and the ISS.
Developments in other domains of activities handled by the Office may also be entrusted to the section (e.g. Earth-observation related developments).
Besides the PRODEX Programme, the Future Missions Department is responsible for preparing future missions, as well as defining and implementing Small / Fast missions within the Directorate of Science (e.g. SMILE, Comet-Interceptor).
You will be responsible for implementing and monitoring several PRODEX activities assigned to you, with an emphasis on scientific space Instrumentation development. The developments may involve industry and/or scientific institutes and may cover either a full instrument or instrument contributions or subsystems.
Specific duties include:
• establishing the overall work programme for the development of PRODEX experiments within the scientific institutes, in line with the instructions from the relevant delegations;
• monitoring the technical, schedule and financial status of experiment developments, identifying potential problem areas and proposing remedial actions;
• assisting, in coordination with scientific institutes and project teams, in the preparation of tender documents, participating in proposal evaluations, preparing the information required for contract negotiations and subsequently monitoring the end-to-end development of projects/activities contracted to industrial consortia;
• supporting the review of project implementation proposals and implementing new development activities as assigned;
• liaising between the relevant scientific institutes and industry for the duration of the contracts; interfacing with internal ESA project teams or specialists on technical/programmatic matters and with the relevant financial and procurement experts on financial and contractual matters;
• acting as the focal point for technical and administrative interfaces between the PRODEX experiments and your Head of Section;
• regular reporting to your line manager on the status of the activities and any difficulties encountered, including written input as requested.
System Engineering and AIV
Hands-on Scientific (Space) hardware development experience
Design, development, and verification of Scientific (Space) Instrumentation including optics, detection and electronic sub-systems, mechanical and thermal aspects
Management of industrial activities including reviews
Knowledge of cost and schedule elements of hardware development contracts
Experience in managing scientific space hardware developments with multiple interfaces (PI, scientific consortium, project, industry)
A PhD or master’s degree in physics or space engineering is required.
You should also demonstrate an ability to:
• apply a systems-oriented approach to the specifics of each project and partners, taking into consideration technical, financial and schedule aspects;
• proactively engage and coordinate a diverse range of internal technical experts and to work with external partners with the scientific institutes/industry, while considering programmatic constraints;
• anticipate problems and propose solutions bearing the overall goals of the PRODEX Office in mind
• show flexibility in dealing with day-to-day operational challenges, while demonstrating strong planning and organisational skills;
• show a high level of motivation and dedication, taking ownership and acting proactively;
• work independently while providing your line manager with regular feedback and asking for support where necessary;
• have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal,…
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.