Rio Tinto Ulaanbaatar Mongolia
1 month ago
Manager Production – Underground
• Excellent opportunity to be part of a world-class underground mining project
• Great exposure and development opportunities within the Owner’s team
• Collaborative and high performing environment at an exciting location
About The Role
We are looking for a Manager Production - Underground to join our diverse team. This is a key role within the Owner’s team with the responsibility for growing a diverse and capable team to continue the ramp up of block cave production activities.
A great opportunity to use your skills and experience in UG mine production activities to deliver the systems of work and resources required to meet the required cave production outputs. The role is responsible for both steady state production draw, secondary breaking activities and haulage level operations of existing production panels, as well as the expansion of the cave footprint with the construction of future production panels.
Working 5 days on/ 2 days... off based in Ulaanbaatar and FIFO to site roster with the option of 4 weeks on/ 2 weeks off international FIFO arrangement and reporting to Senior Area Manager UG, you will
• Be responsible for execution of undercutting, extraction level draw point development, drawbell construction, production draw, secondary breaking, rehabilitation, haulage level operations and vertical development activities
• Deliver industry best practice in mine operational management implementing tools to support first party audit of compliance with safety systems, leadership in the field, critical risk and major hazard management.
• Work with multiple stakeholders to grow a competent gender diverse national workforce capable of safely executing caving related activities to the required standard and schedule, focused on robust training programs and development pathways to prepare for expansion in production activities.
• Providing coaching and mentoring to direct reports with a focus on the capability development and succession planning of the national workforce, inclusive of talent assessment and performance appraisals.
• Refinement of Management Operating System (MOS) specific to Production activities that integrates with the mine-wide MOS processes.
• Demonstrate rigor in incident investigation and action management to ensure essential factors are identified and robust controls are implemented to mitigate risk and prevent re-occurrence.
• Contribute to the general education of the underground workforce regarding block caving methods, risks and constraints.
• Work collaboratively with the Business Improvement team to identify, evaluate and implement opportunities and initiatives related to productivity, schedule acceleration, cost reduction and safety improvements.
What You’ll Bring
• 10-15 years’ experience in underground mines managing development, production and rehabilitation activities
• Experience in management of operational teams
• Block cave / Sublevel cave experience highly regarded
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated delivery team
• Quality assurance and continuous improvement skills
• An ability to work autonomously within a highly complex project delivery environment
• Engineering qualification and or formal Mine management qualifications highly regarded
It will also be beneficial if you have
• Experience working and living in developing countries with strong cultural awareness and familiarity with capability development of a National workforce
What We Offer
• A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
• International relocation and visa assistance
• Competitive package including annual incentive and living allowance
• Career development to further your ambitions
• Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
• Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
• Employee Assistance Program
• Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
• Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/ annual, paid parental, sick leave)
Joining the Rio Tinto Oyu Tolgoi Underground Project team is a great opportunity to be part of one of the most exciting developments in copper and gold mining for several decades. The mine contains reserves and resources that make it one of the world’s largest copper-gold deposits.
This mega project is expected to be a major contributor to Mongolia’s development. As part of the Rio Tinto Oyu Tolgoi Underground Project team, you have the ability to contribute to something significant and learn and develop both personally and professionally. We offer a collaborative, high performing environment where success is achieved by working together.
Discover More About Mongolia And Oyu Tolgoi
Mongolia is increasingly becoming a destination for tourism and expatriate residents. As a rapidly developing city, Mongolia's capital Ulaanbaatar is seen as a comfortable, yet exciting place to live. With an array of cultural and social activities available and a growing network of international schools, housing options, and leisure facilities, its home to a growing community of international expatriates.
Located in the South Gobi Desert, just 80 kilometres from the Chinese border, the Oyu Tolgoi open pit mine and camp is a large, well-run and comfortable site with multiple amenities including recreational and sports facilities, a cinema, shops, restaurants and bars catered to a growing community. For more information about OT site, please check out this video.
Where you’ll be working
Oyu Tolgoi is an operating Copper / Gold open pit mine with a brownfields underground mining project. The site is located in the Gobi Desert region of Mongolia. The reserves case for the underground project is in the order of 0.5 billion tonnes of ore to be mined from the 95,000 tonnes per day Hugo North Lift 1 (HNL1) panel cave mine with a 20-year operations life. There is also the potential for 3 further block cave districts to increase mine life beyond 100 years.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Job application closes on 24 September 2023
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.