City of Harrisonburg Harrisonburg VA United States
4 weeks ago
Are you looking for a career in land use or development where you can utilize your experience and knowledge related to the administration and enforcement of government codes? If so, consider applying for the Community Development Department's Zoning Administrator position! Click here to view the recruitment brochure to find out more about the City and this position, and be sure to revisit this... page to submit your application.
The Zoning Administrator is a full-time, exempt position with benefits and a salary range of $35.05 - $52.58 per hour (equivalent to $72,904 - $109,366 annually); however, an exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate's qualifications/experience and in compliance with City policy.* You are the ideal candidate for this position if you thrive in a deadline-intensive environment, enjoy a variety of professional administration and enforcement duties related to zoning, and desire to lead others as this position requires supervising the City's Zoning Technicians and Specialists.
• Please note that the City has recently adopted a new compensation schedule, and the compensation listed above will take effect on June 25, 2023.
A day in the life of a Zoning Administrator may include some or all of the following:
• Reviewing engineered comprehensive site plans, building permits, sign permits, and other related permits;
• Reviewing and commenting on applications associated with rezonings, special use permits, major subdivision plats, street and alley closings, Zoning Ordinance Amendments, and others;
• Evaluating the need for changes to the Zoning, Sign, and other ordinances, providing research and support for revisions and coordinating and assisting in the drafting of ordinances;
• Assisting walk-in customers at the Department's front counter, answering phone calls, and attending meetings at City Hall and in the field at properties;
• Responding to inquiries from property owners, developers, and community members;
• Providing professional interpretation of and technical assistance related to the Zoning, Sign, Floodplain, and other related ordinances of the City Code;
• Conducting research to prepare zoning verifications;
• Investigating properties on a proactive and complaint basis for Zoning, Sign, and other City Code violations, which may also require meeting in-person with community members;
• Documenting investigation observations for possible legal action, which includes researching past and current uses of properties using a variety of resources;
• Preparing for court cases related to zoning enforcement, including preparing evidence required for court hearings, appearing in court, and presenting testimony;
• Preparing and presenting zoning appeal requests and zoning variance requests to the Board of Zoning Appeals;
• Supervising, evaluating, and directing the work of the City's Zoning Technicians and Specialists.
A more detailed list of essential functions along with the ideal candidate's knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position is available in the Zoning Administrator class specification.Minimum Requirements:
• Undergraduate degree with coursework in urban planning, geography, engineering, environmental science, public administration, or related field and considerable (3-5 years) experience in codes enforcement and/or related work in local government. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be used to meet this requirement.
• Valid driver's license.
• Availability to work Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm, with occasional changes as determined by business needs.
• Current possession of or the ability to obtain the Virginia Certified Zoning Administrator (CZA) certification within twenty-four (24) months of hire date.
• Current possession of the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM) Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) certification preferred but not required for consideration.
• Click here to view the physical requirements of the position.
The selected candidate for this position will be subject to the following screenings and must receive satisfactory results:
• DMV record review; and
• Criminal background check.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application, including previous work experience and education history. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 04/13/2023)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employment Type: Full-Time
Harrisonburg VA USA
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.