Department for International Development London United Kingdom
1 month ago
Do you have a passion for IT and Data Science? Do you want your work to make a difference? If so, continue reading to find out more about this fantastic opportunity to join HMRC - one of the largest and most dynamic IT infrastructures in Europe, and we are now one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
With 50 million customers to serve, over 60 thousand colleagues to support, and 600 billion to collect to fund the UK Public, our IT operation is huge
For those who are up to the challenge, we offer unique and unparalleled opportunities to work with some of the newest technologies and make a real, lasting difference.
HMRC is made up of Customer Groups which are working independently towards one common goal. Our role sits within HMRC s Chief Digital & Information Office (CDIO) Group that deliver in-house solutions for a broad range of technical and operational issues. Our digital delivery centres are hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities that allow... our teams to maximise their capabilities.
Successful candidates will become a member of the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) profession, and can keep their existing badging if already a member of another government profession. Applications will be assessed against the DDaT capabilities found on the Digital , Data and Technology Profession Capability Framework ()
Our team attracts people with a passion for data science who enjoy operating at the cutting edge of this fast-moving industry. We value and invest in training, career pathways and development opportunities to offer exciting and varied long-term career prospects in the team.
See what it s like to work at HMRC:. Questions relating to an individual application must be emailed as detailed later in this advert.
This strategic role sits at the heart of CDIO Data Science. To ensure business continuity and growth, we require IT needs to support our Data Scientists and analysts, in the short and long term.
With the rapid expansion in technological advances, illustrated by the recent growth in large language models (e.g. Chat GPT), the Data Science IT Lead will head up a team, ensuring access to the appropriate technology and IT service provision for the work of CDIO Data Science, with oversight, governance, management and monitoring of our SAS Tenancy, our data analytics platform and our SharePoint repositories.
Responsibility as point of contact for team & wider IT issues (including collaborating with Data Platform Services) as well as wider infrastructure and technological deliverables will also form part of your remit. You will also be the CDIO Data Science representative at various boards and forums, ensuring both our visibility, and strategic requirements are met.
This will help continue and expand our provision of cutting edge, innovative solutions through industrialisation of live services on our data analytics platform, with tangible benefits for the business in data exploitation, machine learning and the ethical deployment of artificial intelligence in the department.
Currently the benefit of our work is in the region of 2bn. This role and their work will build on and continuously improve that success, through ensuring new capabilities to support HMRC most effectively and innovatively.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
• Working with data scientists & data engineers to select the most appropriate tools and techniques to manipulate and enable data transformation for data scientists and their products.
• Acting as a single point of contact, both internally within the team, but externally across the department on a range of data science IT issues.
• Engaging with a wide variety of people and business areas, to ensure data science continues to have fully supported, and developed, environments and tools.
• Engagement with a range of IT suppliers and colleagues to ensure the continued provision, support and ongoing development of the environment, liaising with data scientists to capture requirements and existing barriers.
• Ensuring those environments are being used efficiently and effectively, by monitoring and managing resources, load requests and batch processing.
• Planning, governing & financial oversight of our analytical environments, managing access and ensuring adherence to security and GDPR compliance.
• Working with the internal Data Science Academy on induction and training.
• Broad knowledge of data science and IT techniques.
• Experience in working collaboratively with a range of experts in support of organisational objectives.
• Experience of managing a quality service, stakeholder engagement & management, and effective capture of business needs.
• Experience of Asset, Configuration and Financial Management.
• Knowledge and ability to identify new technologies for continuous improvement.
• Agile Project Management experience.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A with an average employer contribution of 27%
Find more about HMRC benefits infor further information or visit
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.