WSP Africa Midrand South Africa
3 months ago
WSP is one of the most diverse consulting firms in Africa. To further our strategic business execution plan, we are seeking leaders that share our guiding principles – we value our people and our reputation; we are locally dedicated with international scale; we are future focused and challenge the status quo; we foster collaboration in everything we do and we have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable. We are committed to the achievement and maintenance of diversity and equity in employment.
WSP has an exciting new opportunity for a Tailings Engineer to join our Mine Waste team on a full-time basis in Midrand. This is an entry level position in the consulting team and is regarded as a professional person in the delivery of geotechnical and tailings services, in line with the WSP suite of engineering products.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
• Provide tailings services on projects in the mining industry
• Provide... basic technical advice and consultancy on tailings and geotechnical issues
• Start developing internal client relationships
• Use basic techniques, modifications and extension of theories, practices to synthesise and analyse data for decision making / recommendations
• Keep abreast of advancing technologies, methods and research & development
Manage, analyse and tailings reporting for projects which may include the following:
• Design and inspection of mine waste storage facilities
• The means of construction of tailings deposits.
• The operation and management of deposits.
• The properties and behaviour of tailings.
• Closure & deposits stability and seeping analysis.
• Water Storage dames and earth works.
• Provide safety leadership in health & safety (HSSE incident reporting)
• Contributes to projects with a major focus on data collection and processing
• Makes decisions in limited situations with direction from intermediate and senior staff
• Other duties as required
Project management & technical expertise
• Continued development of key skills in project management
• Participation in professional development activities
• Continued professional development in support of professional registration
• Develop ownership and accountability culture
• Promote and develop inter-region and inter-office collaboration and cooperation
• Contribute towards a healthy team mentality among peers
• Work with management to deliver on WSP priorities
Business development (Internal Clients)
• Starting to develop internal client relationships
• Participate in WSP Africa’s business systems
• Be an active part of the WSP team, operational best practice
• Positive financial contribution
• Execute projects in accordance with WSP’s financial target in terms of profitability
Health & safety
• Promote health & safety systems and program priorities
• Act as a custodian of Golder’s health and safety best practice
• Health and safety performance indicators in line with Golder targets
• Relevant degree (BEng or BSc) in the Civil Engineering with 2 to 3 years experience post graduation with developed specialist skills in the area of tailings and geotechnical engineering;
• Honors degree (BEng or BSc) in the Geotechnical field would be an advantage
• Candidate registration at ECSA preferred
• Legislation related to engineering design supporting water use and waste management license applications;
• Financial knowledge (Understanding of Work in Progress, Accounts Receivables and DSOs);
• Proven skills/ experience to lead integrated project mine waste projects coupled with sound project management skills; and
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel (Advanced), MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook , MS Projects.
• Proficient in Slope stability, seepage analysis and FEM software, such as Geostudio and Slide.
• Proficiency in other engineering related software will be considered beneficial;
• Own vehicle preferred
• Valid driver’s licence
What's in it for you?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application
Midrand South Africa
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.