Guidehouse Denver CO United States
1 week ago
Job Family :
Software Development & Support (Digital...
Travel Required :
Clearance Required :
Guidehouse Company is seeking to a Remote Application Developer/Meteorological Scientific Programmer to support our federal project in Silver Spring, MD. Remote work is possible subject to approval.
The National Weather Service’s (NWS) Meteorological Development Laboratory (MDL) conducts and sponsors applied research and development for the improvement of diagnostic and prognostic weather information; data depiction and utilization; warning and forecast product preparation; and data and forecast evaluation. Projects involve modern physical, dynamical, and statistical techniques implemented on operational computers. Emphasis is placed on integrated suites of guidance and final products for Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Centers, and National Centers to then be used for Impact-based Decision Support Services (IDSS).
MDL has developed the Probabilistic Tropical Cyclone Storm Surge model (P-Surge), which is the primary source of guidance used by the National Hurricane Center (NHC) for issuing storm surge watches and warning. P-Surge is an ensemble of Sea Lake and Overland Surges from Hurricanes (SLOSH) model forecasts that is generated based on
historical error distributions from NHC official forecasts. P-Surge was originally developed for the US Eastern Seaboard and the US Gulf of Mexico and is scheduled (in 2023) to expand to cover Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
The successful candidate will focus on the development, testing, and debugging of software to further expand P-Surge to cover Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific. The expansion of P-Surge to the Pacific will enable NHC or the Central Pacific Hurricane Center (CPHC) to use P-Surge output as guidance for issuing storm surge watches and warnings for those areas in the Pacific, should they choose to do so.
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident is required for the position.
• Candidate must successfully pass a Federal Background Investigation.
What You Will Do :
Apply P-Surge to Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific
• Collaborate with NHC to utilize Pacific basins and wind error statistics for the Pacific
• Collaborate within NWS to obtain WMO headers and grid definitions for Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific
P-Surge core code development
• Modify P-Surge bash control scripts as needed to make Pacific runs while simultaneously making Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico and/or Puerto Rico runs
• Develop, test, and debug C-based P-Surge "support" code (e.g., track generation, probabilistic calculation, grid merging, and visualization) as needed, but in particular to support Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific
• Develop, test, and debug C- and FORTRAN-based code (e.g., SLOSH) as needed, but in particular to support Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific. A specific focus should be on the wave calculations.
• Enhance P-Surge to provide station forecasts from the native resolution grid
P-Surge websites and dissemination
• Develop content and maintain P-Surge websites as needed, but in particular to support Hawaii and other areas in the Pacific
• Enhance websites to utilize P-Surge station forecasts in the form of hydrographs
What You Will Need :
• 6 - 8 years of experience
• BS in Computer Science, Physical Science, or Atmospheric Science (or equivalent experience)
• Advanced experience with bash scripting
• Advanced experience with either git or subversion version control software
• Advanced experience with C coding
• Advanced experience with FORTRAN coding
• Strong problem solving and logical thinking skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with others, build relationships, and stay positive in a changing environment
• Effective verbal and/or written communication with Team Lead(s) to ensure tasks are progressing as planned
What Would Be Nice To Have :
• Advanced degrees MS, PhD in Computer Science, Physical Science, or Atmospheric Science (or equivalent experience)
• Advanced experience with Python coding
• Strong writing skills for documentation purposes
The annual salary range for this position is $87,500.00-$131,300.00. Compensation decisions depend on a wide range of factors, including but not limited to skill sets, experience and training, security clearances, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs.
What We Offer:
Guidehouse offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation and a flexible benefits package that reflects our commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
• Medical, Rx, Dental & Vision Insurance
• Personal and Family Sick Time & Company Paid Holidays
• Parental Leave
• 401(k) Retirement Plan
• Group Term Life and Travel Assistance
• Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance
• Health Savings Account, Health Care & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
• Transit and Parking Commuter Benefits
• Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
• Tuition Reimbursement, Personal Development, Certifications & Learning Opportunities
• Employee Referral Program
• Corporate Sponsored Events & Community Outreach
• Care.com annual membership
• Employee Assistance Program
• Supplemental Benefits via Corestream (Critical Care, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance and ID theft protection, etc.)
• Position may be eligible for a discretionary variable incentive bonus
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities, or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee
Denver CO USA
Jobs in Denver CO United States
Remote Application Developer/ Meteorological Scientific Programmer Denver jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.