Oregon State University
Oregon State University Corvallis OR United States
1 week ago
Job Title Wheat Breeding and Genetics Student Field Research Technician Appointment Type Student Employee Job Location Corvallis Position Appointment Percent 100 Appointment Basis 12 Pay Method Hourly Pay Period 16th - 15th of the following month Pay Date Last working day of the month Min Hourly Rate $13.50 (Standard); $12.50 (Non-Urban); $14.75 (Portland Metro) Max Hourly Rate $20.40 (Standard); $19.90 (Non-Urban); $20.90 (Portland Metro) Position Summary This recruitment will be used to fill 10 part-time (a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week during academic breaks) Research Technician positions with the Wheat Breeding Program and the Department of Crop & Soil Science at Oregon State University ( OSU).
Successful candidate performs manual and routine to semi-skilled technical tasks in support of research and administrative work. Positions include field plot research, greenhouse operations, laboratory work, data... collection and simple analysis associated with Wheat Research group.
The primary work site is between Corvallis and Albany at the Hyslop Crop Science Field Research Laboratory. Involves travel to additional research sites and work is performed at typical field laboratory, greenhouse and outdoors, on or off main campus, at partner institutions or at cooperator sites. May involve required overtime especially during group travel.
Position Duties Duties relate to field and greenhouse research work including:
• Field and laboratory data collection
• Assist with combining research plots
• Harvesting wheat heads, rows and plots
• Threshing wheat for seed
• Grain processing and preparing seed for planting
• Collecting and organizing test samples and data
• Operating seed cleaners, threshers and other equipment
• Assist with soil preparation and planting
• Selecting and rogueing plots
• Hybridization of wheat varieties
• Planting wheat plots, rows, and pots
• Includes operation and/or maintenance of cleaners, forklift, ATV, UTV and other equipment
Minimum Qualifications Full Employment Eligibility Requirements can be found here: http://fa.oregonstate.edu/stu-manual/500-employment-eligibility-requirements
• Must be academically enrolled in a high school, community college, or university and pursuing a program or course of study
• Must meet Academic Standing Requirements; students on academic suspension are not eligible for employment
• Must meet the applicable minimal enrollment standard
• High School student: Regularly enrolled in a high school or participating in a home-schooling program
• Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate student: 6 credit hours per term
• Undergraduate international student: 12 credit hours per term*
• Graduate student officially admitted to Graduate School: 5 credit hours per term
• Graduate international student officially admitted to Graduate School: 9 credit hours per term*
• International students may be allowed to carry fewer hours than specified above and still be considered "full-time" by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ( USCIS). A reduced course load is approved by the Office of International Services ( OIS), and must be provided to the Student Employment Center.
Additional Required Qualifications Preferred (Special) Qualifications Because up to 40 hours of work is performed during the summer term break, it is strongly preferred that student employees be enrolled in classes during spring term and have intentions of enrolling or be enrolled for fall term of 2023, or will be newly enrolled in the fall term of 2023.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
• Vacation time is limited and at the discretion of the supervisor.
• Overtime during the summer is expected.
• Transportation and travel expenses are provided.
• The student worker may be required to work up to an approximate 20 hours per week. During the summer, the student may work up to 40 hours per week.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number P09529SE Number of Vacancies 10 Anticipated Appointment Begin Date 06/19/2023 Anticipated Appointment End Date 09/26/2023 Posting Date 02/06/2023 Full Consideration Date 03/06/2023 Closing Date 06/19/2023 Indicate how you intend to recruit for this search Competitive / Student - open to ALL qualified/eligible students Special Instructions to Applicants When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
• A Resume
• A Cover Letter
For additional information please contact: Mark Larson at [email protected]
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the university's COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https://covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSU's plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
Note: All job offers are contingent upon Human Resources final approval
Corvallis OR USA
Jobs in Corvallis OR United States
Wheat Breeding and Genetics Student Field Research Technician Corvallis jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.