Volunteers of America Los Angeles
Volunteers of America Los Angeles Toluca Terrace CA United States
2 weeks ago
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
BRINGING FAMILIES HOME
The Primary focus of the Bringing Families Home (BFH) program is to provide housing support to families receiving child welfare services who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness, thereby increasing family reunification and keeping families together. The programs aims to significantly reduce the number of families in the child welfare system experiencing homelessness; prevent homelessness for those at-risk of homelessness and families in a living situation that cannot accommodate a child or multiple children; prevent foster care home placements when homelessness prevents a parent or guardian from addressing issues that could lead to foster care home placement; and re-unite children in foster care with their families when homelessness is a barrier for the return of the children.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Housing Specialist I is responsible for identifying suitable housing options for program participants and their families, and assisting the participants to achieve sustainable and healthy independent living. Part of services team for the program, the Housing Specialist participates in all stages of client service: assessment, services planning, engagement and delivery. Assists program case management, outreach and community engagement as directed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identifies and locates housing options suitable for homeless participants, including referral to VOALA shelters as appropriate.
• Creates and maintains a housing database linking tenants to apartments
• Communicates with landlords and familiarize them with the BFH program and the unique needs of participants
• Conducts habitability and lead-based paint inspections of housing options as needed
• Works directly (One on One) with landlords on behalf of clients and program
• Develops support systems to meet individual client's housing needs; coordinates and facilitates move-in activities, rental negotiations, and service referrals as needed
• Facilitates the use of community resources to assist both tenants and landlords in the event of problems leading to potential eviction
• As a member of the program case management team, provides information referrals, crisis intervention, and assistance with permanent housing placement for participants
• Assists case managers in conducting the comprehensive screenings and assessments to collect functional, environmental, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate, to develop an Individual Service Plan
• Coordinates follow-up services with case management team
• Additional duties as assigned
• Other duties as required
• Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Services or related discipline, Or
• Equivalent combination of education and work experience (four years)
• One year of experience working with veterans, people in recovery and or homelessness individuals
• Knowledge of housing stability plan design and case management.
• Microsoft Office Suite, including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; familiar with Database functions and reporting.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Able to develop relationships with program participants, their families, and landlords, as well as a variety of service stakeholders (schools, health and public benefit agencies).
• Strong public speaking ability, able to represent program and participants as an advocate
• Strong written and oral skills in the English language, able to accurately complete required reports and data entry.
• Able to perform basic mathematic calculations (rent, security deposits, et cetera).
• Able to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
• Able to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
• Able to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
• Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County.
• Must be able to work effectively with people from all walks of life with compassion
• Hold a California Drivers license, with required insurance and a reliable vehicle.
• Bilingual (Spanish)
• HMIS (homeless database)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
• Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
• Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
• Vision insurance plan
• Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
• Accidental Injury Coverage
• Hospital Care Coverage
• Critical Illness Coverage
• Paid vacation time
• Paid sick time
• 10 company paid holidays
• Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
• Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
• Life and AD&D insurance
• Programs to maintain your health and well-being
• Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
• Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
• Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment
Toluca Terrace CA USA
Jobs in Toluca Terrace CA United States
Housing Specialist Bringing Families Home RRH SPA 2 Toluca Terrace jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.