University of Denver
University of Denver Denver CO United States
1 week ago
Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor, Political Science
Apply now Job no: 495338
Work type: Faculty Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
The Department of Political Science consists of active scholars offering the Bachelor of Arts degree in political science within the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at the University of Denver. Our undergraduate program of study serves approximately 200 majors and students across campus in the common curriculum. Our faculty value inclusive excellence: a commitment by all constituents to create an academic experience that embraces and engages diverse perspectives and communities within an atmosphere of mutual respect. Our curriculum endeavors to develop students' ability to think critically, communicate clearly, write effectively, and develop compelling argumentation based on justifiable sources of empirical evidence and analytical reasoning.
The Department of Political Science invites applications... for a non-tenure track, full-time Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor in the fields of public law and American politics for the 2022-23 academic year. Position may extend for an additional year, contingent on continued funding, need, and performance. The candidate hired will teach the equivalent of eight courses in the fields of US public law and American politics over three quarters. Preference will be given to candidates who can teach both Introduction to Law and Society and Introduction to American politics, as well as a variety of upper-division courses in American public law and politics. Successful candidates will demonstrate a record of excellence in undergraduate teaching and a strong commitment to constructively engaging students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
• Teach large introductory courses serving the common curriculum and major programs such as Introduction to Law and Society and/or Introduction to American politics.
• Teach smaller, writing intensive upper-division courses in the fields of American public law and politics.
• Deploy best practices for online learning through the University of Denver's online learning platform, Canvas, utilizing Canvas tools such as Zoom video-conferencing, discussion boards, quizzes, assignments with uploaded files, and the gradebook as the means to collect student work and communicate feedback and assignment grades.
• Availability to meet outside of class in office hours on campus or via video-conference to provide guidance and assistance to students enrolled in courses taught.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Advanced scholarly expertise in the fields of American public law and politics (ABD/PhD level).
• Excellent skills in oral and written communication.
• Ability to interact constructively with a diverse population of faculty, staff, and undergraduate students in both conventional in-person and online-only course formats.
• ABD in political science or relevant interdisciplinary social sciences area (e.g. Jurisprudence and Social Policy doctoral program).
• Experience teaching undergraduate courses in political science.
• Experience using a course management software as part of a conventional in-person class.
• Policy doctoral program).
• Experience teaching Introduction to American Politics, Introduction to Law and Society, and upper-division undergraduate courses in American public law and politics.
• Experience using the Canvas course management software to teach an online-only class.
Academic year 2022-2023; exact schedule to be coordinated with department chair.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) August 9, 2022.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is UC.
The salary rate for this position is $50,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate's sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Cover Letter
3. Names and contact information of three references
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see nondiscriminationstatement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Advertised: 26 Jul 2022 Mountain Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Denver CO USA
Jobs in Denver CO United States
Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor, Political Science Denver jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.