Gannett| USA TODAY NETWORK
Gannett| USA TODAY NETWORK Columbus OH United States
3 weeks ago
Trending & Breaking News Reporter
Columbus, OH, USA Req #37766
Monday, May 15, 2023...
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer Prize-winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes The USA TODAY NETWORK, which includes USA TODAY, and local media organizations in 43 states in the United States, and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom. We also own digital marketing services companies under the brand LocaliQ, which provide a cloud-based platform of products to enable small and medium-sized businesses to accomplish their marketing goals. In addition, our portfolio includes one of the largest media-owned events businesses in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
Gannett open roles are featured on various external job boards. When applying to a position at Gannett, you should be completing an application on Gannett Careers via Dayforce. Job postings directing you to complete an application on other external sites may not be valid.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Trending & Breaking News Reporter
The Columbus Dispatch/dispatch.com, located in the fastest-growing city in the Midwest and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next trending/breaking news reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what Ohioans are talking about on the internet.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one's work at the top of our pageview charts each day.
This reporter will chase news, business, and entertainment stories, as well as features about topics already trending online or based on online conversations.
It's a high-volume beat, responsible for two posts most weekdays. But doing the job well requires much more than curation.
This reporter is expected to pitch a handful of high-audience-potential ideas each day, add smart context, seek out appropriate multimedia and do original reporting to add value to a reader's experience.
The job also requires writing inviting headlines and social language to lure the biggest possible audience.
Most of these stories will be directed at new and occasional readers to turn them into loyal readers and subscribers. Successful trending stories have run the gamut from breaking crime news to "5 things to know" explainer stories about trending topics.
This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise.
Previous experience as a reporter or content producer are required. This position will work afternoons and evenings.
• Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers.
• Use sites such as Google Trends and platforms such as CrowdTangle and Dataminr to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations.
• Seek out compelling photos, graphics and video and secure permission to use them.
• Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video - that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience.
• Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
• Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least two years of professional journalism experience.
• High-level writing, communication, and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
• Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
• Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
• Your resume - one to two pages.
• A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
• Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at [email protected].
• Job Family Frontline Journalists
• Job Function Consumer
• Pay Type Hourly
• Required Education Equivalent Experience
Columbus OH USA
Jobs in Columbus OH United States
Trending & Breaking News Reporter Columbus jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.