University of Oxford
University of Oxford Oxford United Kingdom
4 weeks ago
Application for this role are to be made online via the University of Oxford job portal. Reference name is HR Assistant (vacancy number 165102)
The Department of International Development is looking to appoint an enthusiastic, knowledgeable and customer-service focused HR Assistant to join its small and friendly HR team. As HR assistant, you will provide high-quality generalist HR service to the Department’s employees and stakeholders across a varied range of tasks. Reporting to the HR Manager and working closely with the HR Administrator, you will have the opportunity to develop further in the field of Human Resources and actively contribute to the smooth running of the day-to-day HR operations and to support the full employee life-cycle across recruitment, onboarding, payroll and other HR administrative tasks. This is a truly generalist role.
The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Organisational Psychology or Business... or is educated to A level standard with GCSE (grade A-C) in English and Maths, and possess relevant working experience. They will have excellent communication skills including the ability to clearly and accurately communicate HR processes and procedures verbally and in writing. They will also have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and proactively maintain professional relationships with all team members and colleagues. Experience of providing a high level of customer service with accuracy and attention to detail is essential to this role.
This post is full-time until 30 November 2025.
• Act as first point of contact for enquiries from employees, line managers and the general public by telephone, email and face to face, answering straightforward questions on the administration of HR processes or recruitment campaigns or redirecting queries as appropriate
• Provide administrative support for the HR team across a wide range of tasks, including PDRs, the Reward and Recognition exercise and family-friendly policies.
• Implement University HR policies and procedures, providing data by running ad hoc reports from appropriate HR databases (e.g. PeopleXD and Teamseer)
• Alongside the part-time HR Administrator, manage the administration of recruitment exercises including: working with managers to understand their staffing requirements, designing effective job advertisements and job descriptions ensuring that they comply with University guidance and best practice, making sure that adequate funding is available, submitting new post for grading, placing advertisements, gathering information for visa applications where necessary, generating letters to applicants, and preparing short listing packs.
• Record staff sickness leave, annual leave, end of probationary periods and annual PDR dates and highlight any issues
• Conduct new starter checks, prepare standard letters of appointment, contracts, and visitor agreements for employees and casual workers ensuring that relevant right to work documentation, Occupational Health and ID checks are completed, and HMRC IR 35 rules are applied for consultants
• Plan and carry out induction sessions for new staff
• Manage the administration of the casual worker process including completion of all monthly payroll changes adhering to the University’s deadlines, ensuring that the correct funds are utilised
• Support the team in monitoring the fixed term contract processes and end of probationary periods and inform the HR manager of any action to be taken
• Accurately maintain all confidential personnel files taking account of the GDPR and Information Security policies
• Work alongside the HR Manager to ensure that all visa applications and renewals are conducted in accordance with Home Office regulations, making sure all the relevant documentation is up to date and compliant.
• Ensure compliance with payroll procedures awareness of statutory pay, and monitor working hours
• Attend appropriate training on HR systems and procedures
Essential selection criteria
• Educated to A level standard with GCSE (grade A-C) level English and Maths, or higher
• Experience of working in an HR team/ HR role
• Awareness of data protection and information security guidelines and appropriate discretion when dealing with confidential information
• Excellent communication skills including the ability to clearly and accurately communicate HR processes and procedures verbally and in writing
• Demonstrable ability to prioritise workload and produce accurate, detailed work within deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and proactively maintain professional relationships with all team members and colleagues
• Experience of providing a high level of customer service with accuracy and attention to detail
• Experience of relevant administrative work including ability to use Microsoft Office and email
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, escalating issues to the HR Manager, when appropriate
• Willingness to undertake professional development and training
Desirable selection criteria
• CIPD qualified
• Awareness of current employment law
• HR experience within the University of Oxford of other higher education institutions
• Experience of working with an electronic HR system (People XD, CoreHR).
Applications for this vacancy are to be made online via the University of Oxford job portal.
To apply for this position you will be required to upload a CV and supporting statement. Your application will be judged solely on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
Please take extra care in ensuring that you address all these point in your supporting statement.
Only applications received before 12 midday on Tuesday 16 May 2023 can be considered.
A link to the vacancy is available below
Human Resources Assistant Oxford jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.