Careers at Council
Careers at Council Hurstville NSW Australia
3 weeks ago
Georges River Council -
About Our Council
Georges River Council is a leading, people-focused organisation with approximately 600 staff members. Our people are working to make the Georges River area an accessible, green, diverse and innovative community and economy. We are dedicated to providing vibrant public places, sustaining and developing a thriving creative culture, helping protect our natural environment, and making our suburbs more liveable.
This role sits within our Legal Services and General Counsel team, which is responsible for the management of Council’s Legal functions. This includes running matters in the Land & Environment Court, Local Court and other tribunals and jurisdictions. The team also provides training and advice to Council's business units on a variety of legal matters.
About The Opportunity
Georges River Council is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Senior Solicitor to join the team and provide high quality legal services to Council as a... public authority and statutory body, to ensure the protection of Council’s interests. As the Senior Solicitor you will be responsible for providing a full range of in-house legal services to Council across all area relevant to Council’s function including but not limited to advice and Court advocacy. Additionally, you will be responsible for representing Council in Court tribunals, mentoring junior staff members and overall support to the General Counsel in providing high quality legal services.
• Permanent, Full-Time
• Salary from $145,509.07 - $168,429.92 per annum plus 10.5% superannuation
• Vehicle allowance
• Additional Managers Leave
• Deliver innovative services that promote and support our community
• Located in Hurstville CBD – 5 minute walk from train station
• Take advantage of Council benefits including:
• hybrid working arrangements
• wellness perks including flu vaccinations and free counselling
• access to council leave entitlements including long service leave after 5 years
Knowledge, Skills And Qualifications
• Admitted to Practice Law in New South Wales as a Barrister or Solicitor
• Holder or eligible to hold a Current Practising Certificate
• Valid Class C Drivers Licence
• Experience in Class 1 Advocacy matters.
• 5 years post admission experience as a Senior Lawyer or similar practical experience and exposure
• Significant experience in interpreting legislation and drafting legal advice.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to advise and communicate with staff on complex legal issues.
• Persuasive interpersonal skills and the ability to use those skills successfully and tactfully in the conduct of matters.
• A strong ability to appreciate the political and social context in which Council operates.
• Ability to liaise with third parties including statutory authorities, other lawyers, Courts, residents and private corporations.
• Ability to work independently and autonomously with a strong work ethic.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Experience in acting as an advocate at interlocutory proceedings and to brief Counsel.
• Experience in planning, environmental, property or local government law.
If you have made a positive commitment to further your career and you possess the detailed in the Position Description essential criteria, then please submit your application today. Applicants are asked to ensure that they provide responses to the targeted questions, failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
If you would like further information on this role, please contact James Fan, General Counsel on 02 9330 9453.
Applications must be completed and submitted via our website. Closing Date: Friday 12 May 2023 at 11.59 PM AEST
Offers of employment at Georges River Council are contingent upon satisfactory results of a thorough background check.
Georges River Council aims to be a leading, people-focused organisation delivering outstanding results for our community and city. We foster our values of Accountability, Professionalism, Unity and Honesty and take pride in promoting the image of Council in the community.
We are committed to building a workplace culture that values diversity and inclusion, and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, workers of all ages, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQIA+ and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
At Georges River Council we are committed to putting children first and championing child safety within our community. We actively advocate for the rights of children and young people and will uphold our commitment as a child safe organisation.
Please note you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident or have unlimited working rights (with no Visa restrictions) in Australia to apply for this position
Hurstville NSW Australia
Jobs in Hurstville NSW Australia
Senior Solicitor Hurstville NSW jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.