National Research Council Canada Ottawa Canada
4 months ago
Priority may be given to the following designated employment equity groups: women, Indigenous peoples* (First Nations, Inuit and Métis) and persons with disabilities.
• The Employment Equity Act, which is under review, uses the terminology Aboriginal peoples and visible minorities.
Organizational Unit: Construction
Language Requirements: English
Note(s): Due to the nature of the work and operational requirements, this position will require some physical presence at the NRC work location identified in the form of a hybrid work arrangement (a combination of working onsite and offsite).
The NRC Advantage
Great Minds. One Goal. Canada's Success.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800... companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.
We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
At the NRC, we know that diversity enables excellence in research and innovation. We are committed to a diverse and representative workforce, a safe and respectful work environment, and contributing to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system. We welcome all qualified applicants and encourage you to complete the employment equity self-declaration questions during the job application process.
Please let us know of any accommodation measures required to help you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Please note that the information you provide will be treated confidentially.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Business Services Officer (BSO) to support our Construction Research Centre. The BSO would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
As a BSO, you will be part of a team of professionals supporting the business management activities of the Construction Research Centre. Working alongside Business Development Officers (BDO), you will focus on developing testing and technical services opportunities while BDO’s develop more complex opportunities supporting our clients and collaborators.
• Developing client technical service opportunities delegated by the Director, Business Development as well as opportunities for other Technical Services arising from the Research Centre.
• Developing assigned opportunities by liaising directly with clients and connecting clients to the appropriate researcher(s) to develop statements of work. This includes identifying the appropriate researcher, collaboratively developing statements of work and deliverables for projects and ensuring that project descriptions meet the needs of the client, reviewing the project costing prepared by the researcher, determining the price and negotiating the price and other contract terms with the client.
• Working with Contract Coordinators to prepare contracts based on standard agreement templates and ensures that updates on all assigned opportunities are entered in NRC’s Client Relationship Management system on a timely basis.
• Providing support to overall business development and marketing activities; e.g. reports and analysis from the CRM, preparing marketing collateral and preparing and organizing materials for conferences and trade shows.
It is expected that the BSO leverages the NRC Business Development Community of Practice to regularly benchmark and remain current on best practices, policies, and guidelines related to business development and client services, as well as make use of training and business development opportunities.
Being in this dynamic role means that the workdays are always evolving, challenging and motivating. This position will appeal to a person who is well organized, detail-oriented, and enjoys working as part of a multidisciplinary team of professionals to deliver excellent client service and support the business management activities of the Construction Research Centre. If you are that person, then this is the perfect role for you!
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering or Business Administration. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
Minimum 4 years of experience in:
• Sales, client service, or customer support in a technology environment;
• Successfully closing sales opportunities;
• Proposal writing and familiarity with contracts.
• Supporting contract management or marketing and communications;
Condition of Employment
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with clients;
• Ability to organize information and communicate clearly and effectively in writing;
• Knowledge of agreement negotiation considered an asset.
• Knowledge of construction and building materials technologies considered an asset
• Management services - Client focus (Level 3)
• Management services - Communication (Level 3)
• Management services - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 3)
• Management services - Initiative (Level 2)
• Management services - Results orientation (Level 3)
• Management services - Teamwork (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Management Services
View all competency profiles
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
From $69,087 to $81,221 per annum.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
• A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
• Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
• The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
• We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (19366) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 22 May 2023 - 23:59 Eastern Time
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.