Municipal World Brampton Canada
1 month ago
JOB TITLE: COLLECTOR, PROPERTY TAX
DEPARTMENT: CORPORATE SUPPORT SERVICES
POSTING NUMBER: 105310
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: Hybrid Model – when working onsite, you will report to the location of City Hall.
SALARY GRADE: 11
STARTING SALARY: $1,081.85 per week
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: April 24, 2023
CLOSING DATE: May 10, 2023
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Collections, carries out collection of realty tax arrears in compliance with the Municipal Act and City policy. Receives and responds to inquiries, contacts owners of delinquent accounts; investigates and provides options, prepares legal documents pertaining to Sale of Land for Tax Arrears (Tax Sale) Registration; maintains updated reports of properties registered for tax sale, assists with the entire tax sale process. Provides advice and guidance as required as well as checks and/or verifies other employees work.
•... Carry out collection activities and duties for delinquent property tax accounts in accordance to the Municipal Act, 2001, City by-laws and policies.
• Identify, analyse and verify delinquent property tax accounts for collection activities
• Provides information, explanation and investigate property tax accounts in Collections in response to enquiries or requests from internal and external customers.
• Negotiate arrangement for payment and/or payment plans with tax payers or interested parties; provide balances calculate estimates, analyse, enter into and maintain payment plans
• Verify and process incoming cashable payments in-house
• Review accounts for Bailiff, issue warrants; monitor accounts for further actions; process incoming payments on accounts assigned to Bailiff
• Prepare all documentation leading up to, during and to conclude Tax Sale as per all governing legislation,
• Assist in the Tax sale tender opening and in the preparation of notification to the bidders.
• Process payments for tax sale properties and prepare documents for payment into Court of proceeds.
• Provide guidance to other City staff on collection accounts as required.
• Generate postdate cheque reports and update on a weekly basis, for use by multiple sections including Collections, Tax Services, and Service Brampton
• Prepares and maintains records of post-dated and returned cheques pertaining to delinquent accounts
• Prepares tax statements
• Assist with the creation of SOPs, and provide ongoing review and feedback to make improvements
• Provides training as required
• Add special charges to property tax accounts as needed and as per Fees and Charges By-law, Scale of Costs - Sale of Land for Tax Arrears By-law
• High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years in Business Administration, Accounting and/or Finance, or equivalent
• Completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Certificate is mandatory
• Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years of Property Tax Account Administration and/or Collections experience involving direct public contact.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge of municipal functions/departments and processes is an asset.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent public relations and customer service skills.
• Ability to effectively deal with the public.
• Sound judgment, good decision making and analytical skills
• Strong Organizational skills.
• *Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #105310 by May 10, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact [email protected] or 905.874.2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially
COLLECTOR, PROPERTY TAX Brampton jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.