Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory San Juan Puerto Rico
1 month ago
The Electricity Infrastructure and Buildings Division of PNNL is accelerating the transition to a sustainable, efficient, resilient, and secure energy system through innovation and actionable solutions. We are a diverse research organization of over 350 experts in electrical, mechanical, and systems engineering, data and computer sciences, cybersecurity, policy, economics, and related disciplines. Our vision is to transform the way our energy system infrastructure is designed, integrated, and operated in order to create environmental security, economic prosperity, and social equity for the Pacific Northwest region, the nation, and the world. Join our team and make an impact!
The Optimization and Control Group within the Electricity Infrastructure and Buildings Division is currently looking for a Senior Control Systems Engineer with a strong background in modeling and design of communication systems for energy applications. The position will support the Laboratory's research... on reliability, security and resilience of large-scale cyber-physical power and energy systems, including communication system design, modeling and analysis, control architecture design and communication-based control and optimization, system integration and testing.
The successful candidate will be required to conduct independent research, develop new ideas and contribute to research proposals, engage with business development managers in relevant areas, prepare manuscripts for publication, and present their work to clients and at conferences.
- Work with colleagues and external collaborators to develop innovative solutions and technical approaches to modeling and design of communication and control systems in power and energy applications.
- Serve as lead author on project reports, journal articles, conference papers, and presentations.
- Leads technical proposals for developing new projects and business.
- Effectively leads collaborative teams of high-performing multi-disciplinary experts.
- Mentors early career staff members and research associates.
- BS/BA and 7+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- MS/MA and 5+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- PhD with 3+ year of relevant experience
- MS/MA with 7 or more years of experience
- PhD with 5 or more years of experience
- Strong technical expertise in communication system design (hardware and software) for energy and power system control applications
- Demonstrated experience in modeling of communication protocols for energy and power systems (e.g. DNP3, Modbus, etc.)
- Experience in communication-based control for distribution systems, including microgrids, utility systems, system operators, etc
- Familiarity with networked control methods, control architecture and distributed control
- Familiarity with Communications Standards (e.g. 2030.5, SEP 2.0, etc)
- Experience with power systems modeling, control, and dynamic stability analysis
- Plays a successful role as a principal investigator on multiple or complex projects or tasks
- Strong analytical, task management, and communications skills, both oral and written
- Strong project management and leadership skills, with experience leading scoping, scheduling, budgeting, and building effective cross-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated record of generating new ideas, leading the development of significant new project opportunities and proposals, and building new research and demonstration programs working collaboratively with a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Strong professional community engagement with demonstrated leadership roles on relevant technical committees
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
Testing Designated Position
This is not a Testing Designated Position (TDP).
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State-the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab's campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3-hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
Commitment to Excellence, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Equal Employment Opportunity
Our laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment dedicated to solving critical challenges in fundamental sciences, national security, and energy resiliency. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In support of this commitment, we encourage people of all racial/ethnic identities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), protected veteran status, and any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures and in employment. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at [email protected] .
Drug Free Workplace
PNNL is committed to a drug-free workplace supported by Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs.
Beginning 05/01/23, if you are offered employment at PNNL, you must pass a drug test prior to commencing employment. PNNL complies with federal law regarding illegal drug use. Under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal drug. If you test positive for any illegal controlled substance, including marijuana, your offer of employment will be withdrawn.
Battelle requires employees to have a COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. Applicants are required to disclose their vaccination status following a conditional offer of employment and must attest to being fully vaccinated with a Center for Disease Control (CDC)-approved COVID-19 vaccination or provide documentation of need for medical or religious exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a "country of risk" without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries, you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.
Employees and their families are offered medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, basic life insurance, disability insurance, employee assistance program, business travel insurance, tuition assistance, supplemental parental bonding leave, surrogacy and adoption assistance, and fertility support. Employees are automatically enrolled in our company funded pension plan and may enroll in our 401k savings plan. Employees may accrue up to 120 vacation hours per year and may receive ten paid holidays per year.
- Research Associates excluded.
• *Once eligibility requirements are met.
Click Here For Rockstar Rewards (https://careers.pnnl.gov/rockstar-rewards
San Juan Puerto Rico
Electrical Engineer IV - Senior Communications-based Control... San Juan jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.