Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Las Vegas NV United States
1 month ago
• **BEFORE APPLYING, PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL DATES TO COMPLETE THE ENTIRE TESTING PROCESS.***
Starting Annual Salary:
Upon completion of Academy (Police or Corrections Officer I):
Six months after graduation (4% merit increase):
12 months after graduation (4% merit increase):
18 months after graduation (Police or Corrections Officer II):
Top of the Police or Corrections Officer II salary range
(4% annual merit increases):
Incumbents attend, participate, and successfully complete the POST-certified Corrections Recruit Training Academy prior to being commissioned as a Corrections Officer for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
Click here to view a complete copy of the class specification, including environmental and physical conditions.
Training and Education
Possession of a High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
Best Candidates Will Have
• Some courses/classroom credits beyond high school;
• Three or more years of public contact experience;
• At least one year of experience in law enforcement or criminal justice;
• Strong work history, including no terminations, minimal turnover and high commitment to employers;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Leadership skills;
• Proficiency in speaking, understanding, reading and writing in Spanish;
• Flexible schedules; and
• A commitment to complete the Academy and Field Training.
Special To This Classification
• Must be 21 years of age by the date of the Written Exam on Wednesday, May 17, 2023.
• Must be a Citizen of the United States by the date of the Written Exam on Wednesday, May 17, 2023.
• Must have no convictions of any crime for which registration in the State of Nevada is required pursuant to NRS 207.090 or 207.152.
• Must have no convictions or any misdemeanors involving use/attempt of physical force if committed by those listed in the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997.
Conditions of Employment
In addition to the General Conditions of Employment found here, the following specific conditions of employment and physical conditions apply to this position:
• Wear a uniform and maintain a neat and clean appearance.
• Study the learning materials on off-duty time.
• Obey the laws of the State of Nevada, City of Las Vegas and the County of Clark.
• Purchase their own equipment that is required for this position.
• Successfully complete the CO Recruit Academy, including firearms qualification and maintaining such qualification throughout corrections career.
• Wear a body camera and vest, and other safety equipment.
• Work any hours, days, or shifts, including holidays and weekends.
• Participate in the Department's random drug screening process.
• Maintain physical fitness necessary to carry out job duties.
• Comply with the Department's rules and regulations.
• Adhere to the Department's values represented by the "ICARE" acronym.
• Stay current on their training.
• Obtain/maintain a Nevada driver's license, and register/maintain registration of personal vehicle with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety (DMV).
• Undergo a background investigation, which will include a polygraph, drug test, medical exam, standard hearing test and psychological testing.
• Undergo, within 14 days after being transferred to the corrections facility, an annual tuberculosis testing/screening, per NRS, and every 12 months thereafter. Individuals who are past positive testers are required to provide medical documentation of testing/treatment records.
• Qualify under Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) to work in a detention facility.
• Accept the requirements of the specific area of assignment.
• Personal Appearance: While on duty, and/or representing the Department, uniformed or otherwise, all Department employees will be neat and clean in their appearance in public. Employees are prohibited from attaching, affixing, or displaying objects, articles or jewelry on or through the nose, tongue, eyebrow or other exposed body part, except the ears for females, while on duty. Employees are prohibited from stretching or "gauging" their earlobes. All jewelry implants will not be exposed or visible while on duty. Tattoos or branding will not be exposed or visible while on duty and/or representing the Department. Such markings must be covered by clothing. Markings that cannot be covered by clothing will be covered using makeup, neutral-toned bandages, or patches. Tattoos or branding anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, violence, or contain sexually explicit material are prohibited.
• All physical and mental conditions sufficient to meet all standards required for successful completion of the entire Corrections Recruit academy training, including but not limited to shooting a Department-approved firearm; deploying other Department-approved weapons; maintaining Department-approved firearms qualification; and engaging in defensive tactics.
• Vision sufficient to read the computer screen, as well as fine print in documents.
• Hearing sufficient to hear, discriminate, localize, and respond accordingly to a variety of speech and environmental sounds in a variety of situations, including face-to-face communications, telephone conversations, or radio communications, in accordance with Department standards.
• Dexterity and mobility sufficient to perform the following: operate standard jail and office equipment; operate motorized vehicles; climb stairs; sprint from one location to another during code response and run for an extended period of time.
• Agility sufficient to twist, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach forward, jump, and reach overhead.
• Strength sufficient to subdue and restrain persons and drag, lift, or carry persons or objects.
• Endurance sufficient to perform the following: sit at personal computer terminals or in a vehicle for extend periods of time; stand and move around while working indoors or outdoors; wear a mask or other protection equipment for extended periods of time.
• Alertness sufficient to be aware of surroundings at all times.
Applications must be submitted online and received by the posted closing date and time (PST). Decisions on an applicant's qualifications for this position will be made solely on the information contained in the application and therefore, should be filled out in its entirety.
To determine your status after submitting an employment application, you may access your account by going to https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/lvmpd.
Application Screening (Pass/Fail)
Applications will be reviewed to determine those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. These qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the remainder of the testing process set forth below. Applicants will be notified of the results of the screening process via email by 3:00 pm (PST) on Wednesday, May 3, 2023. It is your responsibility to confirm your eligibility to test for this position by contacting the OHR representative listed below in the Inquiries Section.
• **For the April Corrections Recruit testing, there are TWO testing date options to choose from. You will ONLY need to choose either Option #1 or Option #2.***
Exam #1: Written Exam (Weighted 100%) - Saturday, May 13, 2023
Exam #2: Fitness Exam (Pass/Fail) - Saturday, May 13, 2023
All candidates who select Option #1 must come prepared to complete both the Written Exam as well as the Fitness Exam on Saturday, May 13, 2023.
or OPTION #2:
Exam #1: Written Exam (Weighted 100%) - Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Exam #2: Fitness Exam (Pass/Fail) - Thursday, May 18, 2023
• The LVMPD reserves the right to modify the selection processes and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
• *Due to security reasons, personal belongings permitted in the testing facility will be limited. Items such as large backpacks, briefcases, duffle bags or similar items may not be allowed. Those items permitted will be left to the discretion of the LVMPD employees administering the examination and may be subject to a search.
• **If you believe you are eligible for Veteran's Preference Points and want to be considered for them, you MUST attach your DD214, Member-4 or Statement/Proof of Service to your application showing 181 days of active duty, good standing and/or honorable discharge. This is the ONLY time your proof of military service will be accepted. For more information on Veteran's Preference Points, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions on the employment page at www.lvmpd.com.
A Study Guide is available to assist candidates in preparing for the above selection process. Click here to access the Study Guide.
Candidates who successfully complete the above selection process will undergo a thorough background investigation which will include an interview measuring suitability and motivation, polygraph, psychological evaluation, and medical exam. A polygraph examination can be stressful and may affect existing medical or psychological conditions or ongoing treatment. Candidates are encouraged to consult with their personal physicians to discuss whether the polygraph will affect a condition or treatment and then follow the guidance of their medical professional.
The background investigation takes approximately 90 to 120 days to complete. For more information on the background process, click here.
If successful on this background process and selected for potential hire, you will be required to successfully complete the following before attending the Academy:
• Post-background NV POST Physical Fitness Exam for all candidates waiting longer than six months to start an academy. Candidates must successfully complete this prior to being given a conditional offer of employment.
• Local Candidates – scheduled at select times of their choice.
• Out of State Candidates – scheduled automatically during the background process in conjunction with the medical exam.
• Pre-Academy NV POST Physical Fitness Exam – scheduled approximately two weeks prior to the Academy start date and is conducted by the Academy staff.
• Medical Exam – scheduled approximately five weeks prior to the Academy.
Candidates are given a conditional offer of employment which states the offer is contingent upon passing the medical exam and the pre-academy NV POST Fitness Exam.
Two NV POST Physical Fitness Exam fails will result in a 6-month disqualification before being eligible to apply again. Any requests by a candidate to defer to a later academy must be approved by the Director of the Office of Human Resources.
Academy and Field Training.
The LVMPD Corrections Recruit Academy will be held at the North Valley Complex, 4900 N. Sloan, Las Vegas, NV 89115 over a 20-week period. Upon successful completion of the Academy, candidates will be assigned to the Corrections Field Training Program (CFTEP) to complete 10 weeks of field training.
It is imperative that candidates prepare themselves for the rigorous demands of the Academy, both physically and mentally. Academically, the Academy is equivalent to a college classroom. This, coupled with the intense physical fitness each recruit must complete, can be very demanding. Recruits should be prepared for this environment to increase their chances of successful completion.
Please visit the FAQs and General Conditions of Employment under Employment Standards available on our employment site for a listing of the LVMPD's open competitive selection and employment policies, and other pertinent information. Please visit www.protectthecity.com for additional information pertaining to the LVMPD and its hiring process, including a video demonstration of each physical fitness exercise and sample oral boards.
Questions regarding this selection process may be directed to:
• LVMPD Recruiters, 702-828-5787, [email protected]
• Bobi Jo Conner, Human Resources Technician, 702-828-4308, [email protected]
• Daphne Diso, Staff Specialist, 702-828-8529, [email protected]
If you require assistance or special accommodations during any part of the application process, contact Staff Specialist Daphne Diso at 702-828-8529 and [email protected]
Las Vegas NV USA
Jobs in Las Vegas NV United States
Corrections Recruit Las Vegas jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.