Shell Perth WA Australia
4 weeks ago
Where you fit in
Select Carbon is Shell’s first acquisition globally for its Nature-Based Solutions business, which invests in agricultural land management as well as in forests, grasslands, wetlands and other natural ecosystems around the world to reduce emissions and capture CO2 while benefiting productivity, biodiversity, and local communities.
With a proven track record partnering with landholders, Select Carbon has developed carbon sequestration projects that are currently participating in the carbon farming projects, including methodologies under Australia’s Carbon Farming Initiative and Emissions Reduction Fund.
Select Carbon are committed to working with land managers to increase carbon sequestration in vegetation and soil to reduce Australia’s net carbon emissions.
Your role as GIS Analyst is to support the delivery of Select Carbon’s Human Induced Regeneration (HIR) program, through the delineation of Carbon Estimation Areas, modeling of carbon abatement, and using... remote sensing for the assessment of land systems and vegetation. You will also work closely with other teams in Select Carbon to monitor regeneration, prepare, and complete and submit carbon offset reports to the Clean Energy Regulator. Over time, your role may expand into other types of carbon farming methodologies such as soil carbon or environmental plantings.
What’s the role?
In this role, you will design, apply, and improve spatial analysis, remote sensing and GIS skills to classify and stratify vegetation and conduct vegetation regeneration checks over extensive landscapes, and ensure these analyses meet or exceed compliance requirements for carbon projects.
Major Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
• Implement procedures developed by the Spatial and Data Science team to carry out vegetation cover stratification and forest cover change analysis across Select Carbon’s Nature Based Solutions projects.
• Achieve the goals and timelines for project reporting and abatement calculations, including compliance audits, as established by the Spatial and Data lead analyst.
• Provide input to internal reviews of Select Carbon's systems and procedures.
• Contribute GIS and associated analyses for feasibility studies for new properties and new project types as opportunities arise.
• Use and extend our codebase (e.g., Python) to perform and automate GIS and remote-sensing workflows.
• Work with a group of professionals from across a range of disciplines, including other GIS and spatial analysts in a high-performing team.
You will thrive in:
• Maintaining the high level of accuracy in delivering outputs and meeting deadlines.
• Maintaining focus during periods of repetitive work with standard operations whilst remaining open to new opportunities that are identified.
What We Need From You
To succeed in this role, you will have:
• Tertiary qualifications or sound working experience in Remote Sensing or GIS. Environmental background or past experience preferred.
• Competent use of the implemented GIS tools, such as QGIS, OGR and GDAL and Python (Essential)
• Experience in remotely sensed data pre-processing, classification and analysis (Essential)
• Attention to details, organisational skills, time management and data management (Essential).
• Knowledge of the Python programming language, preferably including GIS libraries such as Fiona, Shapely, Rasterio, Numpy and Matplotlib (Desired)
• Good knowledge of the vegetation-based methods used in the Emission Reduction Fund, in particular the Human-Induced Regeneration, Avoided Deforestation, and/or planting-based methods (Desired)
• Good knowledge of what is required to be compliant under reasonable assurance audits (Desired)
The successful candidate should be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Aboriginal candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. At Shell we believe that every individual has something valuable to offer. We understand that the more diverse the workforce, the wider the variety of ideas we bring to the table.
We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered.
Applications are invited until 14 May 2023
More About Shell In Australia
Shell Australia is a leading natural gas producer, and we are playing our part in the transition to a low-carbon future by also investing in the power sector, renewable energy sources and carbon abatement activities. A Shell career offers opportunities to work on innovative projects such as the Prelude floating LNG facility offshore of Western Australia and the QGC onshore gas business in Queensland. Beyond these are a wide range of Shell’s New Energies development opportunities. Join Shell and let’s power progress together with more and cleaner energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
• We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
• We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
• We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
• We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible
Perth WA Australia
GIS Analyst – Carbon Farming Perth WA jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.