Prime Earth Education
Prime Earth Education Burlington Canada
1 month ago
We're looking for Conservation Officers to assist with GIS mapping and stakeholder relations for the first phase of our large-scale rainforest restoration tree planting program working to fully restore healthy ecosystems in identified vital habitat zones for critically endangered small apes.
Each Conservation Officer will provide technical forestry support and work directly with our Rainforest Restoration Program Director to conduct online research, GIS mapping, and logistical planning for a multi-phase, multi-location tree planting program to be implemented in conjunction with our partners in Southeast Asia.
Conservation Officers will also join all Prime Earth Team Members in the planning, preparation, and delivery of special online events for our members and the general public focusing on nature education and wildlife conservation.
[A] Researching & Mapping
• Assist with and perform technical functions in the preparation of forest management plans using... photogrammertric and mapping techniques and computerized information systems (GIS, Google Earth Pro, IUCN Databases)
• Develop and maintain computer databases with logistical research on multiple stakeholder groups for multiple tree planting locations in Canada, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and other SE Asian locations
• Assist with establishing short- and long-term plans for management of forest lands and forest resources and provide technical support on tree improvement, seed orchard operations, insect and diseases surveys or experimental forestry and forest engineering research
• Assist with developing plans for tree seedling production and woodlands nursery operations
• Assist with ongoing grant writing and fundraising opportunities to raise funds for tree planting projects
[B] Event Planning
• Assist Prime Earth Team Members with planning and preparing for online event activities
• Assist with creating promotional materials related to upcoming events
• Assist with delivering online events
• Assist with collecting feedback and attendance statistics for event summary reports
Qualifications - Ideal Candidates will:
• Have proficient experience with GIS, GoogleEarthPro
• Have proficient knowledge or understanding of current environmental issues, biodiversity/wildlife and human-animal relations, and climate change
• Have excellent research, analytical, evaluation, and reporting skills with experience in project planning and development - this can include academic knowledge gained through coursework, practical experience gained through employment/volunteer work, or a combination of the two
• Have poise, strong verbal and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work respectfully and effectively on a diverse team with a variety of people from different cultures and sub-cultures
• Be a well-organized, self-directed team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with teammates to complete tasks on time with minimal supervision
This position is dependent on funding through the federal Canada Summer Jobs Grant program.
As per the program requirements, youth hired must meet the following criteria:
• Be between 15 – 30 years of age at the start of the employment. The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
• Be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
• Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
• Be available to work the full work term June 12, 2022 – August 18, 2022.
Due to COVID-19 regulations and policies, this position will include work from home and occasional work in the office. Candidates must have access to a reliable internet connection, computer, and phone to fulfill this job position.
Recent immigrant and/or refugee youth, Indigenous youth, youth from visible minorities, LGBTQIA2S+ youth, and women in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position: Qualified candidates are invited to email their resume and cover letter to [email protected] by May 15, 2023 by 5:00pm EST
Conservation Officer Burlington jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.