IREX Colombo Sri Lanka
1 month ago
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates to support the USAID-funded Promoting Positive Information (PRO-INFO) Activity. This five-year activity aims to address issues related to information disorders leading to the erosion of democratic values in Sri Lanka, with possible extension to Maldives. This would be achieved through the free flow of credible and accurate information from diverse media actors and sources while proactively countering information disorders by equipping citizens with the tools to consume media content and news... critically and responsibly. The COP will have overall responsibility for meeting program objectives and will provide technical expertise in media sector strengthening and management and administrative oversight for the program and will supervise and mentor assigned staff for program implementation and fosters their professional development.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Oversee IREX’s office and operations within Sri Lanka
• Serve as IREX’s Country Representative ensuring IREX compliance with local laws.
• Provide strategic and technical leadership, with responsibility to ensure all program objectives are met
• Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff.
• Develop and maintain effective partnerships with Sri Lankan media organizations.
• Coordinate with local, regional and international organizations active in the media and civil society sectors.
• Develop, implement, and manage activities to support and strengthen the media sector
• Ensure effective mobilization of stakeholders, partners, and consultants
• Coordinate with DC office and HQ program team.
• Serve as primary liaison with donor.
• Represent the project and IREX publicly at conferences, meetings, and events, and support its organizational development.
• Ensure project is in compliance with IREX policies and procedures; ensure project procurement policies are implemented in accordance with any Source/Origin/Nationality restrictions and IREX and project policies for procurement
• Oversee day-to-day financial operations of the project and ensure budget discipline and compliance; prepare yearly program budgets in coordination with DC program staff; track and monitor project spending rates; communicate with DC program staff regarding budget adjustments
• Oversee monitoring, evaluation and reporting on program activities
• The Chief of Party may be requested to make contributions to IREX new business initiatives. The COP will also have frequent and direct communications with USAID as well as with other partners and stakeholders.
• Travel within the country of assignment may be frequent; some international travel may also be necessary.
• Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred
• Minimum 10 years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields.
• Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
• Ability to establish strong working relationships with media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
• Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
• Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives.
• Experience convening diverse stakeholders to address legal and regulatory media reforms and/or other issues affecting the media sector.
• Experience working with private and public sector partners to leverage additional sources of funding to meet project objectives preferred
• Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in Sri Lanka preferred, as well as of the current issues facing the media sector
• Ability to provide written reporting in English for the project
• Strong representational and organizational skills
• Professional level proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of local languages in Sri Lanka beneficial
Colombo Sri Lanka
Chief of Party, USAID/PRO-INFO Activity in Sri Lanka Colombo jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.