International Union for Conservation of Nature
International Union for Conservation of Nature Pretoria South Africa
1 month ago
The IUCN Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) operates in twenty-four countries in the Horn of Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa and the Western Indian Ocean. The ESARO region is extremely rich in biodiversity with high number of endemic species and the largest remaining populations of iconic wildlife left on the continent. ESARO’s Programme focuses on biodiversity conservation through a diverse portfolio of projects and programmatic initiatives ranging from activities at the level of individual protected areas to shaping regional policy on biodiversity conservation. ESARO defines and delivers on its programmatic priorities in collaboration with IUCN members, commissions and other strategic partners. The Biodiversity Portfolio within the IUCN Eastern and Southern African region implements the Biodiversity and Protected Area Management Programme (BIOPAMA) in this region and is seeking support for finance management for... BIOPAMA. BIOPAMA is an EU-funded project that aims at improving the long-term conservation of biodiversity in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific Islands region and enhancing the capacity of existing institutions and networks involved in biodiversity conservation and protected area management. Regional Observatories and a Reference Information System were established during phase I (2012 – 2017) and in the second phase of BIOPAMA (2017 – 2023), the focus is on supporting the collation of Management Effectiveness and Governance information in the Eastern and Southern African region for decision-making as well as implementing action on the ground (through a grant-making mechanism) to achieve fair and effective protected and conserved areas.
The Finance Assistant will work with colleagues in the Finance Unit to ensure the smooth operations of the IUCN BIOPAMA project, and assist the IUCN ESARO Finance team in achieving the highest standards in accounting and financial reporting of activities in BIOPAMA.
More specifically, the roles and responsibilities of the Finance Assistant are as follows:
• Implementing partners/Action Component grantee financial reporting and audit;
• Maintain the tracking table for projects reporting deadlines, sending reminders to grantees
• Review periodic interim and final financial reports, and support the grantees in correcting the reported data for processing.
• Ensure that financial reports are supported by appropriate supporting documents (e.g. supporting documents for expenditures, time sheets, procurement and deliverables as prescribed by the EU reporting rules)
• Assist the grantees in resolving any queries (e.g. correcting the reported data and submitting any missing documentation)
• Ensure that all final reporting documents are uploaded by the grantees on the BIOPAMA AC Portal
• Check that all expenditure reported is in line with the EU guidelines for the Action Component grants
• Follow up with the grantees on the auditors’ queries
• Organize and file supporting documents effectively and liaise with the BIOPAMA Finance Officer to ensure that the documents are complete
• As needed, daily recording of accounting data into the accounting system for all transactions that are encompassed within the country and inter-company transactions.
• As needed, and in conjunction with the Finance Officer, BIOPAMA ensure high quality financial data is entered into the NAV system by checking compliance with financial management principles and IUCN requirements
• Maintain project physical filing system in the office as well as online document filing system
• Liaise with the Finance Officer, BIOPAMA to organize project audits, carry out internal reviews of cost project expenditure, and arrange for the smooth conduct of internal and external audits in the country office, including the timely provision of required information.
• As needed, assist the project administrator in preparing and processing payments.
• Carry out any other financial and or administrative duties as assigned by the BIOPAMA Finance Officer.
• Assist to develop capacity of non-finance staff on IUCN & relevant donor financial management guidelines, policies and procedures as may be required.
• University degree or diploma in accounting, finance, or Part CIS, ACCA, CIMA;
• High proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Minimum of three years working experience in a similar role in the NGO/development sector;
• Experience of working with Enterprise Resource Planning software will be an advantage. Exposure to/ familiarity with Microsoft Dynamic NAV ERP system will be a distinct advantage;
• A good understanding of accounting principles and experience in developing, monitoring, and reporting on budgets
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and French and/ or Portuguese is an advantage.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting
Pretoria South Africa
Finance Assistant Pretoria jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.