Finning Edmonton Canada
1 month ago
Number of Openings:
As a Mining Engineer at Finning Canada you will be responsible for providing: technical assistance, asset evaluations, financial modelling, and fleet recommendations for internal and external customers. Other duties include providing technical training and interfacing with Caterpillar product groups and Finning machine experts to deliver the lowest cost per tonne to our customers.
Reporting to the Mining Engineering Manager, the Mining Engineer will split their time in the field and in the office, approximately 60% and 40% respectively, extensive travel within Finning's territory will be required. Periodic travel outside the country will be required for training. This role is primarily customer focused, and the key objective is demonstrating the value of Finning and Caterpillar equipment.
Supporting the Mining Marketing department to recommend fleet types and sizes for new and existing... customers will require the use of engineering and economic modelling. These recommendations vary in scope and can include equipment performance, fleet optimization, technology enhancements, alternative products, autonomous solutions and MineStar Products. Integrating with customer engineering and operations groups is critical. Extensive use of Caterpillar proprietary software such as VIMS, ET, and FPC is required.
Fieldwork involves the completion of application studies at customer sites. These studies will increase customer productivity, efficiency and overall equipment effectiveness. Strong presentation skills are a necessity as study and analysis results will be presented to internal and external stakeholders, at multiple leadership levels.
Major Job Functions:
Completing Machine Application and Performance Studies in the Field (55%)
• Constructing engineered scale pads and installing mobile mining scales within strict tolerances
• Working with customer technical, engineering, operations and dispatch teams to confirm clear and meaningful targets and deliverables
• Collect competitive intelligence for various models and types of equipment from a range of sites and manufacturers for use in Finning's go to market strategy
• Manage the budget and forecast revenues for the Finning performance assets, this includes the creation of business cases and investment analysis for new asset acquisitions
• working remotely and balancing the workload for multiple projects
• Regular scale maintenance including annual calibration. This will require the engineer to work closely with the scale OEM. This typically includes rewiring, and recalibrating scales.
• Recognizing the safety hazards presented by various studies and addressing them to meet both Finning and customer safety standards while still completing studies in a timely manner
• Scheduling and organizing all necessary equipment, resources and stakeholders for any given study. This includes Finning and Customer senior management, contractors, freight suppliers etc.
Analysis of Machine Application and Performance Studies (25%)
• Completing analyses such as comparison of onboard payload error, haul truck bodies, payload placement, GVW and overloads in accordance to 10/10/20 policy to aid with customers in maintaining regulatory compliance
• Creation of a professional, technical report which will be reviewed with the senior engineer (Engineering Manager) before presentation
• Presentation of the final report to various customer stakeholders, emphasizing findings relevant to their job scope. Respond to any technical questions and complete any follow-up work requested
• Compile and compare data collected on competitive equipment in order to demonstrate Caterpillar equipment advantages clearly to customers
• Present relevant findings to Caterpillar Senior product management and engineering stakeholders
• Incorporate study findings into Finning and Caterpillar marketing strategies
Creating Technical Reports for Use in Responses to RFPs and other Customer Requirements (20%)
• Completing said simulation work through the use of Caterpillar proprietary software and other software and engineering tools
• Examine and interpret technical information provided by customers to develop use-case simulation and financial modelling frameworks, a foundational piece of Finning's responses for large commercial projects
• Coordination among the marketing team to ensure data presented to customers is consistent with Finning and Caterpillar equipment sales strategies.
• Strong analytical and written skills are required to create a polished report that can be viewed by any level of management
• Previous exposure to aspects of mining equipment performance and reliability
• Advanced knowledge of Excel, Power BI, haul simulation software, and other proprietary software
• Strong analytical skills, with an interest in economics and performance
• Learn and adapt quickly to changing requirements
• Can adjust to working long hours on a constantly changing schedule
• Develop continuous working relationships and interact with customers at various leadership levels
• Works well in a multidisciplinary and diverse team
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
• Undergraduate degree in Mining Engineering or related
• Mining knowledge, experience in an operating mine environment (minimum 1.5 years)
• An understanding of mine maintenance planning philosophies and systems
• Competent understanding of economic evaluation and modelling including DCF
• Strong knowledge on the Caterpillar Mining Equipment Product Line
• Planning and execution of performance studies in varying conditions on mine sites, while maintaining an exceptional safety record, completing precise data collection, and interacting with customer representatives
• Writing, reviewing, and presenting technical reports to customers
• Providing technical recommendations to internal and external customers
• Creating technical reports for use with responses to customer RFPs
• Balance and maintain a budget for the operation of scale assets, including expense reconciliation and invoicing
• Coordination with Equipment Product Managers to provide the lowest cost per tonne solution to customers
• Reviewing documents with senior P.Eng.
Education & Experience:
• Undergraduate degree in Mining Engineering or similar engineering degree
• Eligible to work as a P.Eng in Alberta, B.C., and Saskatchewan
• Minimum 1.5 years of previous mining experience
• CAD/CAM, Vulcan, Deswik, RPMGlobal, or other Mine Engineering software experience
• Mining Dispatch Knowledge (MineStar, Wenco, Modular, Jigsaw, etc.) Mine Planning knowledge, CAD/CAM, Solidworks, Vulcan, Deswik, RPMGlobal or other Mine engineering software knowledge
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.