University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates
1 month ago
School of Engineering
Discipline: Advanced Engineering Management
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
No. of positions: 1
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 12th April 2023
University of Birmingham Dubai
Having established ourselves in Dubai International Academic City in 2018 we have now moved to our new state-of-the-art campus which opened in Sept 2021. These posts represent an excellent opportunity to join an ambitious World Top 100 University as we continue to grow our long-term strategic mission in Dubai, the UAE and the wider region. Our campus reflects the very best of Birmingham through our presence in Dubai.
The School of Engineering at the University of Birmingham seeks to recruit outstanding Civil Engineers for the role of Assistant Professor in Advanced Engineering Management (Teaching focused) to be based at the University of Birmingham, Dubai campus. The development and opening of our... Dubai Campus in the Autumn of 2018 marked us out as the first global top 100 and Russell Group University to establish a campus in Dubai. Initially, we are offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, including Economics, Teacher Education, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Business. Over the next ten years, our ambition is to grow the University of Birmingham Dubai to around 4,500 students studying a full range of programmes and establish an active research programme.
As an Assistant Professor, you will make a substantial contribution to the management, development and delivery of teaching and assessment at all levels relating to Civil Engineering, whilst enhancing the student experience and employability. Through excellent teaching, you will inspire students, be informed by discipline-based research, and contribute to the management and administration of the Department in Dubai. Applicants should be capable of teaching a broad base of core Civil Engineering but may have a particular focus in terms of advanced engineering management.
Academic Development Programme - new Assistant Professors will undertake a 5-year development programme, at the end of which they are expected to be promoted to Associate Professor. The programme consists of a variety of development opportunities and the time to reflect and develop.
We provide an inclusive environment and are committed to a recruitment process free from discrimination. We believe that supporting a variety of career trajectories is vital for world-class Civil Engineering to flourish.
Using a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates, postgraduates, or CPD students, including (as appropriate):
• Teaching and examining courses at a range of levels;
• Planning and reviewing your own teaching approaches and encouraging others to do the same;
• Designing contemporary, inclusive, engaging and academically challenging curriculum content;
• Working collaboratively with colleagues to design and deliver teaching, learning and assessment;
• Using digital resources/environments effectively to support learning and assessment;
• Developing programme proposals and making substantial contributions to the design of teaching programmes more widely;
• Where appropriate, undertaking and developing the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining;
• Developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods;
• Developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement activities or similar on own specialism that enhances the student experience or employability and which benefits the College and University;
• Devising and supervising projects, student dissertations and practical work.
Contributing to Departmental/School administration, including:
• Contributing to the administration/management of research and/or teaching across the Department/School;
• Leading and managing a team to devise and implement a new and/or revised process (e.g. new programme or a recruitment drive);
• Advising on personal development of colleagues and students;
• Making a major contribution to some administrative activities within the University (e.g. appeals panels, working groups);
• Managing enterprise, business development, and public engagement activities;
• Developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach.
• Actively manages equality, diversity and inclusion through monitoring and evaluation and actively challenging unacceptable behavior.
Contributing to an inclusive working environment:
• Demonstrating a willingness to be involved in a variety of activities supporting University life (e.g., participation in graduation, Departmental/School committees);
• Demonstrating support for colleagues, such as sharing resources, providing advice;
• Willingness to volunteer for one-off duties (such as supporting School, Institute, and Departmental projects);
• Positively engaging in School strategic initiatives;
• Proactive support and involvement in activities specifically contributing to a positive and inclusive community spirit across the School/College/University.
You will have:
• Normally, a higher Degree relevant to Advanced Engineering Management (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications.
• Extensive teaching experience and scholarship within the subject specialism.
• Proven ability to devise, advise on and manage teaching and learning.
• Skills in managing, motivating & mentoring others.
• Ability to design, deliver, assess, and revise teaching programmes.
• Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching and advising colleagues.
• Experience and achievement in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activities enhance student experience or employability.
• Ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes.
• Ability to assess and organise resources effectively.
• Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
• Experience in championing Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in work area.
• Ability to monitor and evaluate the extent to which equality and diversity legislation, policies, and procedures are applied.
• Ability to identify issues that can potentially impact protected groups and take appropriate action.
Please note that this is a full-time post based at our University of Birmingham Dubai campus and will require teaching in the evenings and weekends to suit the part time needs of the students
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and will consider flexible working options during the process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at
For informal enquiries, please contact Dr Asaad Faramarzi (Birmingham campus) and Dr Imran Qureshi (Dubai campus)
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working
United Arab Emirates
Jobs in United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates
Assistant Professor in Advanced Engineering Management United Arab Emirates jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.