Municipal World New Tecumseth Canada
2 months ago
Urban Forestry Technologist
Full Time Permanent
The Town of New Tecumseth is looking for a full-time Urban Forestry Technologist to join our rapidly growing team.
Why work with us?
Our growing community, identified as one of the fastest growing municipalities by Statistics Canada, located about an hour north of Toronto, offers beautiful rural and urban landscapes and diverse opportunities to work in a technologically progressive, public environment. Additionally, the Town offers the following perquisites:
• Flexible work environment, including ability to work from home up to two (2) days per week
• employer paid health and dental benefit packages
• competitive salaries
• OMERS pension plan
• free gym membership at Town recreation centres
• professional development opportunities
The Urban Forestry Technologist administers activities related to urban forestry and arboriculture within the Town including parks and open spaces. The Urban Forestry Technologist will oversee... more than 17,000 trees within the Town and support various departments and branches within considering development, management, and oversight. The Urban Forestry Technologist will manage and update the current tree inventory, manage work orders, provide consultation, and condition assessments and oversee preventative pruning throughout the Town.
• Provides expertise in all aspects of urban forestry and arboriculture including, but not limited to managing Town tree inventory, managing the Emerald Ash Borer program, managing work orders related to pruning, removal, stumping, and planting.
• Monitors the performance of contractors and consultants, scheduling, review of extra work, contract specifications and claims.
• Evaluate Town tree condition and determine risk potential to recommend and effect mitigating solutions.
• Recognize and determine ideal planting sites and monitor plantings up to and then beyond end of warranty.
• Provide recommendations to Roads Business Unit in plant/tree maintenance (pruning), landscaping and construction activities (such as planting trees and shrubs).
• Prepare Tenders, Requests for Proposal (RFP) and Requests for Quotation (RFQ) documents, reviews, and evaluates submitted proposals/quotations, and participates in selection of RFP and RFQ awards pertaining to urban forestry/arboriculture or related projects.
• Coordinates and reviews the work of consultants hired by the Town to undertake urban forestry/arboriculture services.
• Coordinates and reviews the work of contractors hired by the Town to undertake urban forestry/arboriculture services such as pruning, treatments, removal, stumping and planting.
• Prepares reports to Council in keeping with the department’s practices with respect to timelines and completeness.
• Reviews, examines, and provides comments on drawings, plans, specifications etc., pertaining to urban forestry/arboriculture, prior to construction contract awards to ensure compliance with applicable policies, by-laws, guidelines, practices, procedures, standards, and regulations, forwarding comments to Supervisor or Manager for review when required.
• Performs on-site inspections related to various urban forestry/arboriculture projects including reconstruction and rehabilitation works. Ensures compliance with Provincial and Town standards, policies, requirements, design specifications etc. Responds to emergency situations where required and arranges for corrective measures.
• Diploma or Degree in Urban Forestry/Forestry, Arboriculture, or Horticulture.
• ISA Certified Arborist accreditation (ISA Certified Municipal Arborist or Board-Certified Master Arborist designation an asset)
• Valid G Driver's Licence, and ability to submit a clean driver’s abstract upon hire (DZ Licence an asset)
• 3 to 5 years experience in urban forestry and/or arboriculture, administering urban forestry/arboriculture related contracts (Municipal experience an asset)
The successful candidate must have the ability to align with established goals and objectives and is able to create/follow plans and processes accordingly to deliver task and goal completion to a high standard. The Town of New Tecumseth values progressive ideas and actions; the successful candidate will have proven ability to embrace change, be resourceful and to seek new ideas and creativity to maximize effectiveness to provide high quality citizen-centred services to our community.
Salary: $70,452.20 - $88,088.00, plus employer paid benefits and OMERS pension plan
Hours: 35 Hours per week
Start Date: May 1, 2023
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and copies of the required credentials (diplomas, training, certificates etc) by April 18, 2023 at:
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Information collected will be used solely for the purpose of candidate selection, in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act.
The Town of New Tecumseth is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation
New Tecumseth ON
Urban Forestry Technologist New Tecumseth jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.