Durham Region (The Regional Municipality of Durham)
Durham Region (The Regional Municipality of Durham) Whitby Canada
2 months ago
THE REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF DURHAM
Senior Investment Analyst
Reporting to the Manager, Investment Portfolio, the Senior Analyst will collaborate with the management team in managing and executing the Region's active investment and trading strategies and supporting all debt issuance activities for the Region and the local municipalities, as required. The incumbent will:
- Perform investment management activities, including researching and identifying potential investments, determining security selection, size and term, developing, recommending and defending trading strategies to optimize asset mix, negotiating investment opportunities, and executing transactions to maximize returns on the portfolio and mitigate the risks of investing public funds
- Support and promote enhancing investment portfolio returns by developing and implementing active investment strategies and trading programs while maintaining funding for both short and long-term cash flow requirements
- Prepare cash... flow forecasts to identify surplus funds, maintain target cash balances, assess liquidity and develop financial models and scenario analysis with respect to potential portfolio and trading strategies
- Establish relationships with financial institutions and assesses their suitability under the Region's investment policy to improve access to securities and diversify the portfolio
- Review investment and debt policies and procedures to incorporate best practices and ensure compliance with current legislation
- Maintain market perspective through research, monitoring capital markets, communications and meetings with market participants and information providers
- Interpret complex financial data to prepare portfolio modeling, market and economic analysis, yield and credit spread forecasts, benchmark analysis, performance analysis, scenario analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with Financial Services and investment dealers to ensure funds are transferred and investment transactions are settled and accurately recorded in the investment model and financial system in a timely manner
- Analyze cash and reserve and reserve fund forecasts, debt financing alternatives, primary banking relationship and budgets to provide feedback or develop reporting for management and Council
- Support the Manager with all activities relating to the issuance of debt, including fulfilling the local area municipalities borrowing program(s) through debt issuance in the Canadian capital markets
- Evaluate alternative sources and structures of debt to minimize borrowing costs for capital financing
- Provide advice, analysis and support to internal business units and the local area municipalities on debt and investments
- Develop relevant content and supporting documentation to be used for proposals, presentations, performance and compliance reports, annual financial statements, internal and external audit requests
- Analyze investment strategies and debt financing alternatives and prepares reports containing recommendations for management and Committees of Council
- Contribute to various projects related to the design and acquisition of Investment and/or Debt related financial systems
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time related to the Investment Portfolio Division
The successful applicant will possess:
- A post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation or CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) charter holder
- CIM (Chartered Investment Manager) designation considered an asset
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience in portfolio management at a large financial institution or multi-divisional organization including experience in cash forecasting, financial/economic analysis and design and creation of financial models
- Experience using portfolio management software to track, analyze and evaluate investment performance
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles related to institutional investment, the banking industry and economic and accounting practices employed in the debt and investment management of public funds
- Knowledge of provincial and municipal statutes and regulations pertaining to investments and debt including the ability to interpret and explain complex legislation
- Experience using Bloomberg considered an asset
- Extensive experience with Excel, Word and PowerPoint for scenario analysis, research and report presentation
- Demonstrated leadership, negotiating and project management skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong mathematical, analytical and report writing skills
- Ability to present recommendations to a varied audience
Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, multi-task and balance priorities while meeting deadlines
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 9
Start: $49.55 - Six Month: $52.30 - Job: $55.05
Conditions of Employment
Prior to the start date, the successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check dated within two (2) months from date of hire. Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will also be collected.
In addition, all new hires must be fully vaccinated upon hire to meet the Region's Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. As required, exemptions will comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online at https://bit.ly/3jmVUF7 no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: [email protected] and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to [email protected].
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham
Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham
Senior Investment Analyst Whitby jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.