Bertelsmann New York NY United States
2 months ago
Editorial Assistant, Del Rey (Open to Remote)
Del Rey, an imprint of Random House, seeks an Editorial Assistant to join our team. The assistant's role provides administrative and editorial support to the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor on an impressive list of fiction focusing on science fiction, fantasy, horror, and speculative fiction. This position offers the opportunity for growth and... to learn about the overall editorial process and the inner workings of a publishing office.
An industry leader in speculative fiction, Del Rey is the proud home of the world's most acclaimed storytellers in the genre, which include George R.R. Martin, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Pierce Brown, Naomi Novik, Cassandra Clare, Kiersten White, Chuck Wendig, and Terry Brooks.
Random House values our authors as collaborative partners, and the editorial assistant will act as a liaison between authors, agents, and different departments within Random House. Daily responsibilities include all-around project support for the editors, proposal/manuscript reading and editing, drafting cover copy, and brainstorming creative publishing approaches and solutions to help authors/books through the entire publication process.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, meticulous self-starter who loves to read and is invested in learning about the publishing industry and being part of a collaborative team. The ideal candidate will manage a diverse set of responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
Please apply using our ATS system and include your cover letter and resume for consideration.
• Communicating between authors, literary agents, and internal departments to coordinate and keep track of the production process from finished manuscript to bound book (including trafficking of copyedited manuscript, pages, galley copy, cover copy, and cover mechanicals).
• Writing promotional copy including TIs, online retail copy, and package copy for supervisor's approval. Also responsible for maintaining metadata for all editor(s) titles.
• Managing campaigns for endorsement quotes on various titles, including trafficking mailings (electronic and print) and revision approvals. Drafting pitch letters.
• Preparing and routing P&Ls and contract information sheets for acquisitions.
• Evaluating manuscripts in conjunction with supervisors and writing reader reports.
• Begin training in editorial development of manuscripts in conjunction with the editorial team.
• Providing general administrative support by scheduling meetings, prepping for department meetings, managing expense reports, archiving, maintaining hard copy and electronic files, etc.
• Exceptional attention to detail, the ability to prioritize, and strong follow-up skills
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask
• Strong communication skills, both verbal & written, used on timely follow-up over email and phone
• A team player with the ability to build internal & external relationships with departments, authors, and stakeholders
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively and meet deadlines
• Ability to take initiative and problem-solve creatively
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• An avid reader who keeps up with reading trends and has a strong interest in speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror).
• Excellent writing skills, especially in writing promotional copy
• Solutions-focused when met with challenges and can comfortably adapt to changes and anticipate needs when needed once familiar with the role of an Editorial Assistant
The salary for this position is $45,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children's publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 300 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children's Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 257652
Date: Feb 20, 2023
New York NY USA
Jobs in New York NY United States
Editorial Assistant, Del Rey (Open to Remote) New York jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.