Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Berkeley CA United States
2 months ago
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's ( LBNL ) Climate & Ecosystems Division ( CESD ) has an opening for a Rhizosphere Soil Warming Postdoc to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will work within an interdisciplinary team on critical questions regarding soil response to a warming climate. (https://tes.lbl.gov/) As part of a team of field, laboratory, and modeling-focused researchers, this... position will focus on determining the spatiotemporal variability in rhizodeposition and redox heterogeneity, and their biogeochemical impact in a coastal California grassland subjected to long-term warming (Point Reyes, CA).
What You Will Do:
• Refining, testing, and using in-situ microsensors in the field experiment, and will employ advanced spectroscopic and mass spectrometric analyses for the characterization of rhizodeposition.
• Develop and evaluate hypotheses and build a mechanistic understanding of the interplay among rhizodeposition, moisture, and redox within soils and their response to soil warming.
• Help design and develop a package of micro-sensors and associated equipment for field deployment
• Deploy microsensors in soil pits and conduct seasonal monitoring over the growing season
• Collect and analyze DOC, metals, and nutrients in the pore water
• Coordinate the characterization of rhizodeposits in pore water
• Assist with other field measurements as needed
• Engage as a member of a large, multidisciplinary research team that includes geochemists, hydrologists, microbiologists, and computational scientists
• Author peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports
• Develop proposals to DOE users facilities as needed
• Communicate results, for example by presenting at scientific conferences
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Analyze, process, and quality control data collected with relevant analytical instruments (e.g. ICP-MS, MC-ICP-MS, SEM/TEM, FTIR) and via discrete sampling
• Prepare written and oral material for funding sponsor and project reviews
• Help with proposal writing and reporting requirements
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in geochemistry, soil science, agronomy, civil or environmental engineering, earth sciences, hydrology, or equivalent discipline
• Substantial knowledge and experience in conducting lab and field experiments involving soils and plants
• Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary environment
• Ability to identify and develop new research areas
• Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists
• Excellent written and oral communications skills and a proven track record of publishing in top-tier journals
• Specific experience with rhizodeposition
• International research exposure
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
• The monthly salary range for this position is $6,476.00 - $7,887.00. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-PhD Postdoctoral and/or related research experience
• The monthly salary range for this position is $4,636.00 - $7,887.00 and is expected to start at $6,476.00 or above. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-Ph.D. postdoctoral and/or related research experience.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law." and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4
Berkeley CA USA
Jobs in Berkeley CA United States
Rhizosphere Soil Warming Postdoc Berkeley jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.