Specific Biologics Toronto Canada
2 months ago
Research Associate – Molecular Biology
661 UNIVERSITY AVENUE, TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA, M5G 1M1
FULL-TIME . MARCH 13, 2023
Specific Biologics is dedicated to developing therapeutics that treat or cure diseases through precision gene editing. Our platform technology Dualase™ is uniquely designed to target and correct genetic errors in ways that better use a cell’s natural repair processes. Our technologies hold the promise to provide new and potentially curative treatments to patients with rare diseases, cancers, and many others serious and life-altering diseases.
Join us in our mission to treat or cure genetic diseases.
Specific Biologics is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate – Molecular Biology to join our start-up team. The successful candidate will work with the gene editing platform-development team under a collaborative and a fast-paced environment. The core responsibilities of the Research Associate – Molecular Biology will be to generate... and test the activity of novel nucleases on multiple clinically relevant targets. Preference will be given to candidates with a strong background in molecular biology and biochemistry.
• Design, plan and execute experiments to identify novel genomic targets and clone new variants designed to re-target gene editors.
• Optimize cloning and expression plasmids for new nuclease variants.
• Generate expression platforms for multiple gene-editing delivery modalities (e.g. mRNA, viral vectors and protein).
• Work collaboratively with other internal functional area specialists (e.g. vector development, purification, cell culture, etc.).
• Perform protein, and mRNA purification.
• Assist in the day-to-day operations of the lab, such as material ordering, equipment maintenance, etc.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s or graduate degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related science discipline.
• Minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience in molecular biology, preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotech setting.
• Demonstrated experience in cloning, plasmid design and selection, RNA synthesis, DNA and RNA isolation / purification and western blot.
• Demonstrated experience in mRNA production.
• Demonstrated experience in using analytical methods for characterizing gene editing in cells, as well as protein characterization.
• In-depth understanding of genome editing and protein engineering.
• Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office and video conferencing (Teams) and ability to adapt and learn new software.
• Demonstrated experience with producing next-generation sequencing libraries, and analysis of sequencing data is an asset but not mandatory.
• Demonstrated experience AAV/Lenti virus production is an asset but not mandatory.
KEY SKILLS and ATTRIBUTES
• Self-motivated — eager to ‘dive-in’ and take ownership for work. Effectively manage time and plan activities.
• Collaborative and helpful — ability to work across functional areas – actively work with colleagues to troubleshoot experiments and take an active interest in other’s ideas and opinions.
• Strong communicator — ability to explain complex, technical ideas to a variety of audiences. Clear, concise writing.
• Intellectual curiosity — desire to ask questions, challenge assumptions and develop unique solutions to challenging problems. Naturally drawn to researching new topics and approaches in literature and other sources.
WHAT WE OFFER
The role is performed on-site at the Jlabs incubator facility (661 University Ave, Toronto). Specific Biologics benefit package offering includes:
• Participation in Employee Stock Option (subject to board approval).
• Health, Dental, Life and Accidental Death Insurance.
• Paid vacation.
• Paid sick leave.
GOOD TO KNOW
• Specific Biologics is located within Jlabs incubator facility that has a proof of Covid-19 vaccination requirement for entry into the facility.
• Offers of employment are conditional upon the successful passing of a reference check and a background check (as determined by Jlabs policy) as well proof of post-secondary education.
Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2023, or until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Specific Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process, please advise at any point and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Specific Biologics Inc. is committed to workforce diversity, creating equity across our systems and fostering and advancing a culture of inclusion. We know that bringing diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives together drives innovation which helps us to solve today’s complex health problems. At Specific Biologics, we believe that diversity, equality and inclusion (EDI) is everyone’s responsibility and serves as a catalyst to enable everyone reach their full potential and help us innovate to create a healthier world
Research Associate – Molecular Biology Toronto jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.