Partners in Health
Partners in Health Liberia (+5 others) Liberia
2 months ago
Reports to: Lab Supervisor
Location: JJ Dossen Hospital, Harper, Maryland County-Liberia
Deadline: November 30, 2017
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
The Microbiologist will work closely with other existing laboratory staff to establish... microbiology services as a regional laboratory is in the process of being established at JJ Dossen Hospital in Maryland, through the Ministry of Health and National Public Health Institute of Liberia via a GIZ-funded laboratory and biomedical technology strengthening project for the Southeast counties of which PIH is the implementing partner.
The primary role of the Microbiologist is to plan, organize, direct, evaluate and coordinate microbiology services within the JJ Dossen Hospital Laboratory. S/he will provide accompaniment and coordination for all Microbiology services at the Hospital laboratory, and is expected to collaborate with the Lab Supervisor, Medical Director, JJ Dossen hospital laboratory and hospital staff and PIH clinical team in the development and execution of strategic plans and quality improvement plans, to provide quality care, and management of cost-effective services in line with JJ Dossen Hospital, National, and PIH/ GIZ regulations.
The Microbiologist will work with the laboratory and clinical leadership to implement and maintain Microbiology policies and procedures. The Microbiologist should be prepared to uphold the core values and principles of JJ Dossen, and to maintain key relationships with Clinical Managers, Administration, directors of services.
Besides all the responsibilities for the Microbiology technologist (see below), the supervisor in Microbiology is responsible for:
• Coordinate work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency in performance of assigned tasks.
• Recognizes and deals with priorities.
• Discuss results and findings of laboratory tests and procedures with physicians
• Assist, initiate, and implement new methods.
• Analyze quality control data and present results to Laboratory and Hospital management
• Participate on Infection Control and other Laboratory and/or Hospital Committees.
• His/ her role will be reviewing and submitting periodic performance review and submit it to HR department, advice PIH leadership on decision process.
• Create rotation schedules for laboratory personnel.
• Prepare and submit timely departmental Monthly work plan, compiling reports as needed by the project team.
• Microbiology technologist perform standard laboratory procedures for diagnosis of infectious diseases on samples collected from humans such as blood, urine, tissue samples, etc.
• Perform analysis of samples, including colony counting, gram staining, sub-culturing, microbial identifications (e.g. bacterial, yeast, and mold), and other microbial sampling/testing analysis.
• Use automated equipment and computerized instruments capable of performing a number of tests at the same time.
• Use laboratory equipment such as microscopes, centrifuges, incubators, balances, etc.
• Determine the susceptibility of microorganisms to various antimicrobial agents that could be used to treat infections caused by the microorganisms.
• Log data from medical tests and enter results into a patient’s medical record
• Analyze and report test results, applies rules of specimen rejection, and arranges recollection of specimens as needed.
• Supervise and Identify knowledge and skill gaps of laboratory team, design and deliver capacity building trainings
• Assist with patient phlebotomy, registration and order entry.
• Complete required daily procedures and check that equipment is maintained in good working order.
• Ensure work area is cleaned, stocked, and organized daily.
• Perform manual calculations and document results accurately.
• Follow established general safety procedures and utilize PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) appropriately.
• Ensure proper disposal of nonhazardous or potentially bio-hazardous materials.
• Perform quality control testing, sterility verification and growth promotion testing of incoming media, identification kits and reagents.
• Maintain lab stock cultures for evaluation and proficiency testing.
• Maintain adequate inventory of media and materials required for testing, routine laboratory maintenance.
• Develop and update Standard Operating Procedures as needed.
• Keep updated on the clinical microbiology standards and regulations.
• Arranges for pickup or delivery of specimens sent to reference lab or outside lab.
• Participate in research activities that are approved by PIH Liberia and IRB.
• Participation on EQA programs coordinated by MoH and National Laboratory Systems.
• Forecasting and procurement, order for supplies needed for Microbiology lab and tracking consumption reports.
• Mentorship of laboratory staffs on Microbiology tests.
• Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor in Science in Medical laboratory sciences or Higher National Diploma in Microbiology or Masters Level of education in Medical Microbiology from accredited university or college.
• Current practicing certificate
• Computer proficient, especially with Microsoft Office products.
• 3-5 years of relevant laboratory experience and some managerial experience
• Excellent organizational, teaching and communication skills.
• Strong interest in social justice, health care, and international capacity building.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• Salary Offer POA
Liberia (+5 others)
Jobs in Liberia (+5 others) Liberia
Partners in Health Liberia (+5 others) jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.