WeWorld-GVC Pemba Mozambique
3 months ago
Position: Education in Emergencies Coordinator
Reporting Relationship: Area Manager
Location: Pemba with regular travels to projects areas and Maputo office
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Line Manager upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: May 2023
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Family Duty Station: YES
WeWorld, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and... women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld has been working in Mozambique since 2000 with development and emergency projects in the fields of education, food security and DRR in the provinces of Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Manica, Zambézia and Cabo Delgado. WeWorld carries out emergency projects in the provinces of Manica and Cabo Delgado; a three-year project to mitigate Niño drought effects in the province of Maputo starting in 2018; and in 2019 it has been intervening in response to IDAI and Kenneth cyclone to assist affected populations; and in 2020 it has been intervening in response to COVID-19, social cohesion and peacebuilding in Cabo Delgado province. At present, our main donors in the country are Italy (AICS), the EU (ECHO), the UN (UNICEF, WFP, UNDP and FAO) and Swiss Cooperation.
The project intends to contribute to improving Education Services and Risk governance in highly vulnerable rural and urban areas frequently exposed to hydro-meteorological hazards and to the effects of climate change and human conflict. Specifically, the project is aimed at providing emergency Education services and strengthening and consolidating national and local capacities to prepare for and be the first to respond to rapid onset natural and man-made disasters in Cabo Delgado province.
The EiE Coordinator will be responsible for the successful implementation of the education activities, providing guidance to the project team in achieving the agreed goals within in the respect of time, quality and budget standards; in addition it is required to support the Country Representative in expanding the education action of WeWorld in Mozambique.
Main tasks and Responsibilities
• Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Area Manager
• Provide supervision, guidance, coordination and monitoring of the education staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work
• In collaboration with the Country Representative and Area Manager, contribute to the development, upgrade and implementation of an appropriate and effective strategy for the involved sectors of intervention
• Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of the results, assess project impact and effective use of resources
• Provide quality advise to the donors on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes
• Validate the work plans prepared by education official
• Supervise quality and transparency of the data reported
• Provide the emergencies coordinator with regular action plans/project updates and advise of any deviations from the plan
• Other tasks as requested by the line manager
Coordination and Representation:
• Ensure relations with communities and local government are in place
• Support in the establishment and maintenance of relations with other NGOs
• Ensure constant and cooperative relation with Donors
• Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned project staff, and relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
• Participate in education coordination meetings, representing WeWorld and feeding back the Country Representative with relevant issues and updates
• Organize relevant meetings/presentations of the education to the relevant stakeholders and follow up the implementation
• Participate in internal coordination meetings held in WeWorld Offices
• Participate in the education cluster meeting
• Participate in the monthly PM meeting called by Donors
• Participate in the recruitment process and training of education team staff as required by project plans with Area Manager
• Manage the information flow between the education official
• Direct line management of the education official
• Technical training for the staff of the organization
• Lead and motivate the project team by building a collaborative work environment
• Ensure proactive attitude and inputs towards identification of training for staff
• Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established
• Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
Monitoring of project activities:
• Definition of the monitoring plan and specific tools to assess the progress of the project
• Monitoring of activities implementation and of results/objectives achievement through field visits, meetings with partners and stakeholders, data collection and analysis
• Manage the education activities budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet WeWorld standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance, in strict collaboration with WeWorld Administrator in Mozambique and in the HQ
• Ensure that all expenditures comply with WeWorld Financial Rules and Regulations
Reporting and Accountability:
• Setting up and monitoring of periodic (monthly) internal reporting to be filled in by partner and project staff
• Drawing up of narrative and financial reports, interim and final (in collaboration with WeWorld local office and headquarters) to be sent to the donor in compliance with agreed procedures and time schedule
• Prepare activity/project reports and analysis of the data collected on a regular basis or upon request
• Support on technical, financial and any other report upon request
• Provide regular reports/updates to the Country Representative on all activities carried out
• Any other task not here listed and necessary to the projects and activities
• During, or at the end of the assignment, provide a proper handover
Qualifications and Knowledge
• Bachelor’s degree in education, social sciences, international affairs or related field required
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Italian or English
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Portuguese or Spanish
• Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• At least three years of professional humanitarian experience
• Proved experience in managing projects funded by UE and UN
• Experience in emergency context
• Experience with EiE programming
• Experience in conflict resolution
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrable program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Ability to assess needs and write new project proposal
• Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent W World in consortium, clusters and with donors
• Strong negotiation skills
• Sound verbal and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders
• Proven ability to design and lead training engagements with staff and partners to enhance skills and adapt to changing program demands
• Positive attitude to work, self-reflective, motivated, inspired, collegial
• Proven ability to work well in and promote teamwork, thrive in a multi-cultural environment, be flexible and handle pressure with professional grace
• Proactive and dynamic attitude
• Ability to adapt and work under constraint, under pressure and in complex and multicultural contexts
• Interpersonal skills and intercultural approach
• Good listening and communication skills
• Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
• Demonstrates integrity with regards to NGO values and ethical standards
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found. Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
• Job City Pemba
Education in Emergencies Coordinator 52 views0 applications Pemba jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.