City of Calgary
City of Calgary Calgary Canada
3 months ago
Library Services at CAMH is currently seeking a full-time, permanent, Archivist. Reporting to the Manager of Library and Archives, the Archivist will follow recognized archival principles to acquire, appraise, accession, arrange, describe, preserve and make available unique and permanent physical and digital records related to the work and activities of CAMH and its predecessor organizations. This position requires onsite work and is located at 1001 Queen Street West.
• Acquire, appraise, arrange, describe, preserve and make available the CAMH Archive physical and digital records for reference, research and outreach purposes using accepted archival standards
• Work in partnership with teams and departments across CAMH to coordinate the selection and transfer of corporate records that possess long-range historical value by reason of their legal, audit, accountability and/or research... values
• Answer and/or provide materials that will help answer reference questions from CAMH departments, partner agencies, interest groups, independent researchers and members of the public
• Participate in Archives’ instruction and outreach activities, including planning, implementing and evaluating physical and virtual exhibits
• Create and maintain finding aids, ensuring they are publicly accessible
• Negotiate directly with relevant corporate programmes, with associations, and with private donors for the acquisition and transfer of specific items; negotiate appropriate terms of donation, access conditions, and services
• Create and maintain a digitization policy that identifies the best records to digitize, sets out annual budgets for the work, and identifies vendors to carry out the work
• Monitor the physical state and integrity of records in the collections, taking conservation steps as required and in accordance with accepted archival practices
• Create a collection mandate and ensure that new and existing materials fulfil the mandate. Regularly review material and deaccession as required
• Provide professional archival advice, guidance, assistance and training to CAMH staff and students as required
• Create and maintain records in ARCHEION
• Operate and maintain the Archives reading room
• Participate in Archives strategic planning, serving on committees and other CAMH staff functions.
• Participate in archival professional activities and communities of practice
• Identify and apply for grants
• Participate in the planning, preparation and move to a new Archive space
• Other duties as required
The successful candidate will have a Master’s degree in Archival Studies from an accredited institution, plus two (2) years’ related experience. Strong skills in archival arrangement and description is essential.
• Expert knowledge of current archival descriptive standards, including Rules for Archival Description (RAD), and proven progressive experience arranging and describing records in all media and at all levels (fonds to item) according to RAD
• Expert knowledge of archival practice and principles, including acquisitions, appraisal, preservation and ownership
• Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends and issues in archives, including archival management systems, archival standards preservation, digital preservation and preservation of born-digital records
• Highly effective interpersonal, communication (oral/written), project management and creative problem-solving abilities
• Excellent organization skills to effectively deal with competing priorities and deadlines
• Capacity to work independently as well as part of a team
• Proven ability to resolve problems effectively and manage multiple tasks
• Working use of ARCHEION, Microsoft Office Suite of Products, and Internet/Intranet technologies
• Sensitivity, skills and experience working with diverse workforce and communities
• Experience running a small, specialized archive
• A genuine interest in history of mental health
• Bilingualism (French/English) or proficiency in a second language
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Please Note: This full-time, permanent position is part of the OPSEU bargaining unit.
Salary Range: $31.68 - $42.71 per hour
Please click the apply button below.
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute. As a CAMH employee, you will be expected to actively support CAMH’s teaching and research activities, in addition to supporting the clinical work of the hospital.
At CAMH, we strive to be an equitable and inclusive employer. Our commitment to equity is grounded in an institution-wide commitment to achieving a working, teaching, and learning environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
CAMH actively seeks candidates from First Nations, Métis and Inuit, racialized and LGBTQ2S+ communities, women, and people with disabilities (including people who have experienced mental health and substance use challenges).
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please inform us if you require accommodations during the interview process
Student Project Archivist Calgary jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.