University of Idaho
University of Idaho Moscow Russia
3 months ago
Posting Number STH002005P Employee Category Student/Temporary
Position Title Temporary Help - Research - Lab Location Moscow Division/College Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences Department Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Nematology FLSA Status Overtime Eligible Pay Range $18.00 per hour Full Time/Part Time Full Time Work Schedule Summary Monday – Friday 8AM-5PM
Position Summary Full time position in the laboratory of Dr. Louise-Marie Dandurand. Excellent opportunity for lab experience involves laboratory, greenhouse, and field research support for studies on eradication of Globodera pallida, the pale cyst nematode (PCN). Job duties will include assisting with rearing of Globodera pallida including maintenance of planting material, extracting and enumerating cysts, hatching and viability assays for quality purposes. The incumbent will assist with tissue culture propagation of plant... material. The incumbent will collect, organize and enter data, and maintain records as necessary and appropriate. The incumbent will assist with general laboratory maintenance such as preparing, managing, sanitizing and sterilizing materials for laboratory and experimental use; and assist with experiments related to eradication of the pale cyst nematode including greenhouse and field research. This position is contingent upon continuation of funding.
Job Duty Function Assist the project director or laboratory staff with general project operations: Job Duties/Responsibilities Learning and applying laboratory techniques and containment/safety protocols related to working with a quarantine pest. Assisting with rearing of Globodera pallida including maintenance of planting material, extracting and enumerating cysts, hatching and viability assays for quality purposes. Assist with tissue culture propagation of plant material. Duties include assisting with general laboratory maintenance such as preparing, managing, sanitizing and sterilizing materials for laboratory and experimental use; assisting with data entry.
Percentage Of Time 50% Essential/Marginal Essential
Job Duty Function Assist with greenhouse and field work: Job Duties/Responsibilities Assisting with experiments related to eradication of the pale cyst nematode including greenhouse and field research.
Percentage Of Time 50% Essential/Marginal Essential
• College level training in plant sciences, microbiology, soil science or related field or 2 years equivalent experience.
• Ability to work full time each week.
• Experience working in a team setting.
• Experience being dependable and punctual.
• Good communication skills.
• Experience maintaining accurate, clear and organized records.
• Experience developing and maintaining professional working relationships.
• Ability to comply with relevant regulations regarding working with a quarantine pest.
• Possess good attitude and work ethic.
• Possess computer skills – spreadsheets, word processing, and internet.
• Knowledge and/or experience in laboratory or greenhouse operations.
• Experience with sterile technique.
• Greenhouse experience.
• Experience with laboratory safety procedures.
• Experience with the culture of microbes.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
• Ability to lift, carry, and/or otherwise move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
Posting Date 03/01/2023 Closing Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your
“Letter of Qualification” must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume WILL NOT be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Background Check Statement Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates may be required to pass a criminal background check.
The University of Idaho (U of I) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, U of I does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, genetic information or status as any protected veteran or military status in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions and educational programs.
Quicklink for Posting [...]
• Letter of Qualification
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
• Academic Keys
• Association of Public and Land Grant Universities (APLU)
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• Craig's List
• Department of Labor/Job Service including Job Central or Idaho Works
• Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
• Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
• HireEd/Academic Impressions
• Inside Higher Ed
• National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges (website)
• Professional Listservs (Ex: NACUBO, AAAE, ISMC, etc.)
• Veterans in Higher Ed
• Word of Mouth
• Other Advertising Venue
• University of Idaho Website
• University of Idaho Daily Register
• University of Idaho Employee
Temporary Help - Research - Lab Moscow jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.