University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Plymouth United Kingdom
2 months ago
University Hospitals Plymouth is a trauma centre and one of the largest and busiest hospitals in the South West. Working as a Specialty doctor at Derriford hospital is an enjoyable and varied job, providing vast amounts of opportunities to gain experience in oral and maxillofacial surgery. You will be part of a very supportive and approachable team and provided with great educational support and hands-on training. The second on-call shifts are on a rotational basis with up to 1:6 weekday on-call shifts, and up to 1:6 weekends on-call. The workload includes dentoalveolar surgery, facial trauma, orofacial malignancy, the treatment of facial deformities, TMJ surgery and Orthodontics. Patients are seen in outpatient clinics, local anaesthetic clinics, theatres and on-call duties, which provides an interesting daily variation. There is a study leave allowance which is great for undertaking postgraduate courses or examinations.
Main duties of the job
This is a full time post in... Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. There will be 10 sessions per week as per the provisional timetable attached to this job description. There will be one session for teaching/admin/CME work. The remainder of the sessions are distributed between clinic duties and operating. The Head of Department would be able to vary this programme as workload and staffing levels dictate. So far as is consistent with the proper discharge of the above duties, the post holder undertakes to deputise from time to time for absent colleagues.
At present there is a 1 in 5 non-residential on-call commitment covering both Derriford and Torbay hospitals during the weekdays and weekends. The on-call is shared by 2 Specialist Registrars, 1 Trust Doctor (SpR equivalent) plus the advertised post. Staff from Torbay Hospital also contribute to the on call.
Teaching, Administration and Research Requirements.
The appointee will be expected to assist with the teaching of SHO's and specialist training grades during the course of their work.
Organisation of the Service Line
The Service Line comprises Maxillo Facial Surgery, Restorative Dentistry and Orthodontics. The Service Line Director is accountable directly to the Surgical Care Group Director for the operational management and performance of the Service Line assisted by a full-time Service Line Cluster Manager.
Provision of Clinical Services
The Maxillofacial Surgery Department is a busy one with some 11,800 attendances to it's dedicated outpatient facility, including 1400 local anaesthetic procedures per annum. In conjunction, approximately 850 inpatient procedures and 1800 day cases are performed .
The department has two Consultants:Mr P McArdleMr S Gangidi
There are two Specialist Registrar training grade posts in the department (1 shared with Torbay), one Associate Specialist, one p/t Staff Grade, two Trust Grade Doctor at Registrar level as well as 4 SHO's and 1 F2 Doctor.
PROVISIONAL EXAMPLE TIMETABLE
For further details, please see the attached Job Description & Person Specification
Education, qualifications and special training
• Full GDC Registration Dental Degree Fellowship in Dental Surgery Or equivalent
• Full GMC Registration
Knowledge and skills
• Sound knowledge of oral surgery/medicine and basic maxillofacial surgery. Out of hours second on-call experience/supervision of DCT's. Skilled in dento-alveolar surgery Able to run routine local anaesthetic and general anaesthetic day lists. Experience in dealing with simple mandibular and maxillary fractures.
• Knowledge of more advanced maxillo-facial procedures and facial trauma.
• Minimum of four years postgraduate experience with at least two years' experience within the relevant specialty.
• Experience at Registrar or Staff Grade level.
• Ability to organise departmental rota's Evidence of participation / completion of clinical audits. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Teaching and management experience. Evidence of clinical audit completed
• Ability to work the hours required Ability to cover on call duties. UK Driving Licence
Jobs in Plymouth United Kingdom
Specialty Doctor in Oral Surgery Plymouth jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.