Right Seat Ltd
Right Seat Ltd Kigali Rwanda
3 weeks ago
Research Program Manager
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) is seeking a passionate and capable person to serve as Research Program Manager to support the research portfolio at its location in Kigali, Rwanda. This person will work with the Director of the Center for Inclusive Digital Transformation in Africa (CIDTA) and the Director of Research to facilitate and accelerate research activities both within CMU-Africa and with Afretec. Afretec is a 10-university partnership that was established to create a platform for technology-focused universities in Africa to stimulate inclusive digital growth by collaborating on teaching and learning, knowledge creation, and entrepreneurship activities within the area of engineering and technology.
The Research Program Manager will coordinate activities between multiple projects related to research including, identifying and communicating appropriate research opportunities, supporting the preparation and... submission of research grants to external funders, establishing and managing internal funding opportunities, ensuring appropriate project tracking and reporting, and liaising with stakeholders in contracts, finance, and other offices. They will give detailed attention to program strategy, project delegation, and program implementation. This is a new position that requires an individual with program management experience from higher education or research institutions, a team player with leadership qualities, excellent relationship building skills, a passion for research, and a desire to make a difference!
Carnegie Mellon University as a whole, with its main campus in the USA has over $400M in research expenditures every year and a well-developed research support system. This position will engage with this support system while creating localized support for a rapidly growing community of researchers at the CMU-Africa campus and Afretec partners as they seek out unique and high-impact opportunities in Africa. This position is an exciting opportunity to work with an international team of talented researchers and colleagues to enable this impact.
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a private research university based in the United States. It has top ranked programs in engineering, computer science and information and communication technology as well as a rich history of entrepreneurship. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, CMU established a campus in Kigali Rwanda (CMU-Africa) in 2011 to address Africa’s critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent. CMU-Africa is a fast-growing campus with about 300 enrolled students from more than 20 African countries. It has more than 20 resident faculty and more than 35 staff from around the globe. There is strong collaboration and exchange between CMU campuses. CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research. CMU-Africa’s vision is to lead transformational change in Africa through education and technology innovation. CMU-Africa’s mission is to deliver a world-class education to develop the next generation of technology leaders from across Africa and to accelerate research and innovation to solve pressing African and global problems.
As Research Program Manager, you will work closely with the Director of CIDTA to further develop the research objectives and strategy and guide various research projects and initiatives. While specific responsibilities will vary, they will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Works with the Director of CIDTA and Director of Research to establish policies, procedures, and governance frameworks for research programs for CMU-Africa and Afretec.
• Partners with CMU main campus and Afretec partner stakeholders to ensure effective delivery of research training and research calls for proposals and any other research initiatives
• Works with the Associate Director of Impact to develop KPIs and build strategic progress reports for all research initiatives
• Collaborates with CMU-Africa’s Finance Officer to manage budget burn rates, educate alliance network partners on financial accountability procedures, and ensure compliance
• Organizes various research convenings, workshops and conferences for the network
• Builds and maintains relationships with Afretec partners, maintaining constant and consistent communication to ensure network research activities are on track, and executed according to agreed timelines and budgets
• Works with external and internal Marketing teams to develop and implement marketing strategies for the various research programs
• Coordinates all operational and administrative management requirements for CMU-Africa research and works with other CMU-Africa departments to ensure research objectives
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Education And Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Operations Management, or related field
• 3-5 years of program or project management experience, managing delivery of research initiatives in an education or research environment
• Fluency in both spoken and written English
• Additional certification in program management, project management, or research administration,
• A Master's degree in relevant field.
• Prior experience in working with a higher education institution
• Fluency in both spoken and written French
Skills And Competencies
• Critical thinking with the ability to solve complex problems in innovative ways
• Handling multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment; working under pressure and with frequent interruptions
• Getting things done and producing results quickly—whether the tasks are large or small
• Advanced knowledge of and substantial experience using email, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software as well as online reporting and similar tools
• Understanding and creating processes with meticulous attention to detail;
• Keeping and maintaining accurate and detailed reports and records
• Communicating well verbally and in writing composing appropriately formatted correspondence and reports
• Exercising sound judgment using discretion and maintaining confidentiality
• Maintaining composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or persons
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
• Quickly adapting and thriving in an evolving and diverse environment
• Working independently and taking initiative
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Research Program Manager Kigali jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.