Food and Agriculture Organization
Food and Agriculture Organization Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates (+1 other) United Arab Emirates
3 weeks ago
The Government of Abu Dhabi is pursuing an ambitious plan for the sustainable transformation of its agricultural sector, contributing to food security, economic growth, and sustainable use of natural resources, whereby agriculture production systems are integrated, diversified and viable. In support of this aim, the FAO Subregional Office for Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen (SNG) and the Abu Dhabi and Food Safety Authority (ADAFSA) are implementing Project GCP/013/UAE/AFS for formulating a Master Plan for Sustainable Agriculture in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi Emirate. The specific outcome is to design a comprehensive planning and monitoring tool and a roadmap for the sustainable development of diversified and integrated agricultural production system. The formulation of the master plan involves the development of spatial decision support system (the Decision Support Tool - DST), aiming to guide decision-making processes at various levels to prioritize... strategic interventions and investments to spur the transformation of agriculture towards viable, sustainable, diversified, and integrated agrifood systems. Several socioeconomic analytical models support the identification of most suitable crops, inefficiency, or potential determinants or both, best options to maximize farmers’ returns, while securing socio-economic and environmental sustainability.
The Economist (Junior Analyst) works under the overall guidance of the SNG Subregional Coordinator, the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor and the technical coordination of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in close collaboration with ADAFSA and FAO assigned taskforces.
The Economist (Junior Analyst) contributes to the quantitative and qualitative analysis on a broad range of issues in relation to the DST to inform the formulation of Master Plan for Sustainable Agriculture in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist in review of the agricultural sector and related policy framework of Government of Abu Dhabi.
• Contribute to the design of questionnaires to collect the data required for the application of DST models.
• Lead in the primary and secondary data search, collection, compilation, and harmonization for the use in and development of the spatial decision support system - DST models.
• Prepare or conduct semi-structured interviews, focus groups, expert consultations when appropriate to gain qualitative and quantitative information in collaboration with ADAFSA staff.
• Assist in conducting cost-benefit, value chain analysis, and in analysing market structure and performance of selected priority value chains, at farm, wholesale, and retail level.
• Participate in technical consultations and contribute to the capacity development of country analysts on policy monitoring indicators computation and analysis in relation to DST models, or other related support tools.
• Draft and/or contribute to technical reports, briefs, presentations to facilitate technical consultations, workshops, or field visits.
• Contribute to the drafting of the Master Plan and to the formulation of country strategies, policies and plans, as needed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in economics, agricultural economics, natural resources economics, agribusiness management or a closely related field.
• One year of experience in quantitative economic analysis to agriculture development issues in the formulation of food security, agriculture, rural development, agribusiness investments, natural resource management, or related analytical studies.
• For Consultants working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian), preferably Arabic.
• For PSA, working knowledge of English would suffice.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
• Extent and relevance of experience in development sector studies, agricultural transformation, strategic documents, investment plans.
• Work experience as a data analyst or in a related field, or experience in handling large datasets.
• Familiarity with agricultural production systems in arid agroecological regions or in the context of limited natural resources.
• Extent and relevance of experience organizing technical training and workshops.
• Ability to drafting technical material and reports and working in a multicultural team under tight deadlines
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates (+1 other)
Jobs in Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates (+1 other) United Arab Emirates
Economist (Junior Analyst) Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates (+1 other) jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.