Cabinet Office York United Kingdom
3 months ago
Job Title: Senior Data Analyst - Property Function
Salary: £32,640 - £36,510
Location: Glasgow, York
The public estate is large with diverse assets ranging from offices to hospitals, prisons, courts, warehouses, railways, roads, airways, canals, homes, barracks, ports, job centres, test centres, retail, schools and a large land asset.
It has authority over certain public property that it can exercise. The balance sheet value stood at around £515 billion in 2019 and there are over three hundred thousand recorded assets spread over thousands of different entities and systems.
To put this into context, some of the largest large private sector asset managers have around £10-20 billion in their balance sheets. The Office of Government Property has its remit over all of the government estate being the home of the Government Property Function.
The function provides it with means for strategic leadership of the public estate and it is responsible to make... sure the whole of estate delivers objectives: collaboratively, efficiently, compliantly and in a sustainable manner.
This is a Data Analyst role within the OGP Data and Analysis Team (DAT). The ideal candidate will have experience of seeking information requirements of large and complex programs and advising them on analysis to be undertaken.
This is an exciting phase in the Data and Analysis Team, as the team looks to implement a transformational information strategy and this role will enable the creation of an analytical centre of excellence within OGP.
This role is an outward facing role where the successful candidate will work closely with OGP programs.
The candidate will be expected to understand program requirements, produce forecasts and options analysis in Excel and present outputs in a simple, easy to understand and visual manner to senior stakeholders using powerpoint/ Business Intelligence tooling.
The ideal candidate will be outgoing, adept with complex problem solving, numerate and with ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
They will work across programs and develop new analytical tools that can be used across programs and work with models that have already been developed previously. In addition to excel, the data tools utilised will centre around Tableau, Tableau prep, Python and SQL.
Training on these tools/ languages will be provided however candidates will be expected to have a high level of knowledge of excel and at least a familiarity of other tools. The candidates should be prepared to learn and develop their skills on analytical tools.
The analysis may need to be developed from scratch or will require amendments to existing tools and further development.
As part of the Data and Analysis Team, the successful candidate in the role will be working in the centre of excellence within OGP for data and analytics, responsible for ensuring the availability of comprehensive, up-to-date and usable data on the central government estate to help drive savings and inform estates strategies across government.
The Data and Analysis Team manage the largest central database of government civil estate properties and land, used by government departments, the devolved administrations and wider public sector bodies.
This post will involve identifying and defining data analysis needs. Using stakeholder techniques to assimilate property data and functionality needs, the post holder will have to understand and translate business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
• Supporting internal and external stakeholders with the development of data analysis.
• Responsible for technical analysis by developing/ enhancing excel based options analysis models that will evaluate the outcomes for various options and reflect the impact of decisions for the business case(s)
• Supporting decisions by building analytical tools that measure and report performance, reflect forecasts, measure KPIs
• Assisting in gathering and updating analytical assumptions from a technical perspective
• Producing project management tools in excel that will enable the programs to track realisation against business case
• Gathering and analysing data for the annual state of the estate report.
• Liaising with stakeholders from across OGP to gather and challenge assumptions, improve the accuracy of the analytical tools, discover new data sources and get the maximum impact with end users
• Ensuring that analysis is robust and effective and follows best practice techniques.
• Highlighting analytical and project risks
• Working alongside the wider data management, analytics and governance teams, to aid in any area that may require analytical and data handling capability in OGP
• Staying informed of the ways the organisation uses its data and modelling best practices
• Proactively sense-checking data and weeding out outliers or seeking clarifications on data that looks inconsistent. Flagging data problems noted to the source
• Ensuring that the required outputs are produced completely and highlighting all assumptions/exceptions made
• Invest in self development on new tooling and skills, such as Python, SQL, Tableau and financial modelling skills (if not already known).
Specialist Skills and Requirements
• Consulting and data story telling expertise
• Ability to work with technical and non technical stakeholders
• Technical excel skills with knowledge of best practice excel techniques (limiting use of VBA, where possible).
• Ability to manage and develop analysis efficiently, allied with a strong appreciation for the appropriate analytical techniques which can be employed to provide robust analyses at pace.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to articulate complex data challenges in simple language and to produce narrative and presentations to communicate complex analysis.
• Ability to produce outputs that use visualisation techniques and data analytics.
• Experience using Excel to manipulate data and building and maintaining a model suite.
• Experience with data visualisation (preferably Tableau)
• Familiarity with a programming language such as Python, and willingness to learn it after start.
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Self-starting and inquisitive attitude, proactively seeking solutions to programmes analytical needs
• Passion for continuous improvements
• Understanding of financial statements (profit and loss, cash flow, balance sheet etc)
• Understanding of the financial and economic parts of a business case
• Knowledge of Green Book and Aqua Book standards
• Strong commercial (not necessarily real estate based) acumen
• Experience of Python, SQL
• Excel skills necessary
• Python desirable
• Tableau skills desirable
• SQL desirable
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
• Changing and Improving
• Managing a Quality Service
• Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
• An analytical case study shall be a part of assessment, details of which will be provided after the initial sift assessment. No prior preparation shall be required for the case study.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service Pension which provides an attractive pension, benefits for dependants and average employer contributions of 27%
• A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 12th March 2023
Senior Data Analyst - Property Function York jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.