Covenant House Toronto
Covenant House Toronto Toronto Canada
3 months ago
Overnight Youth Worker
Maternity Leave Contract up to 1 year
For forty years, we have maintained a steadfast dedication to our mission: supporting the vulnerable youth who come through our doors. To this day, we remain committed to this duty.
Covenant House helps youth ignite their potential and reclaim their lives. As Canada’s largest agency serving youth who are homeless, trafficked or at risk, we offer the widest range of services to hundreds of young people every day. More than a place to stay, we provide 24/7 crisis shelter and transitional housing on-site and in the community, along with comprehensive services including education, counselling, health care, employment assistance, job training and after-care. Since 1982, Covenant House has supported more than 100,000 young people.
As a national leader, we educate and advocate for long-term change to improve the lives of vulnerable youth. This includes influencing public policy, leading awareness and... prevention programs and continually building and sharing our knowledge. As a learning organization, we strive for excellence and programs with impact.
We provide life-changing care with unconditional love and respect. We meet youth's immediate needs and then we work together to achieve their future goals.
Thanks to our donors, who contribute 80 per cent of our $44.2-million annual operating budget, we are able to deliver these comprehensive programs and services.
In this position the candidate will be responsible for direct implementation of Covenant House’s philosophy, mission statement and policies as they pertain to residential care.
• Ongoing assessment of youths' needs; individual counseling with youth.
• Crisis intervention in situations of physical confrontation, medical and psychiatric emergencies, and for youth who have recently experienced trauma.
• Acting as caregiver; assisting youth with daily routines and laundry; supervising them throughout the building, escorting them within the community.
• Acting as an advocate for youth both within the agency as well with external agencies.
• Packing up youth's belongings after discharge, ensuring it is properly labelled and stored to prevent any loss of items.
• Doing intake and reception function; monitoring building to ensure safety.
• Management of external environment; by supervisor’s request completing building checks and searches.
• Assisting in training of new staff.
• Maintaining client files, intakes, discharges, case summaries, completion of all necessary forms pertinent to youths' plans.
• College or university degree or diploma in child and youth work or equivalent.
• Minimum two years experience in a shelter or residential setting.
• Knowledge of adolescent developmental theory and specific issues related to street youth.
• First Aid, CPR and basic computer skills an asset.
• Ability to identify, assess and intervene differentially with youth in crisis.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of community resources.
Interested internal applicants please submit a cover letter and resume on or before March 8, 2023.
As an employer, Covenant House is committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who represent diverse communities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Covenant House Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Covenant House recruitment process.
To ensure the safety of our staff, youth and volunteers, Covenant House Toronto has implemented a mandatory COVID 19 Vaccination Policy in compliance with the City of Toronto. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, exemptions will only be granted to individuals based on applicable medical/religious grounds.
Overnight Youth Worker (res) Toronto jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.