Tweedshirecouncil Murwillumbah NSW Australia
3 months ago
Please note amended close date
Council’s Engineering Division is seeking to fill an Environmental Scientist – Botanist position. The role undertakes vegetation surveys and assessments, plant identification, and environmental assessments related to Council infrastructure development for the purpose of preparing planning applications and management plans for Council infrastructure and maintenance projects.
The position has a speciality area in Botany, and as such we require a person with a background in botanical identification and vegetation surveys, flora ecology, or restoration ecology. The position will be also called upon to do non-vegetation related impact assessments so general ecology/environmental science skills would be desirable.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience in botany, restoration ecology or similar
• Flora survey and vegetation assessment experience
• Environmental impact assessment experience is desirable
• Familiarity / experience working with NSW... environmental planning and assessment legislation and if not, within other states
The position will be required to provide environmental advice during design and construction. You will be required to attend site inspections, pre-design meetings, site environmental risk assessments and construction inspections.
What's on offer:
• An attractive base salary ranging from $88,141 per annum with competency based increments up to $101,440 per annum, plus 10.5% super
• 70 hour, 9 day fortnight
• Training and development opportunities
• Flexible work options for a healthy work/life balance
We are seeking:
• Degree in Botany, Ecology, Science, Environmental Science or equivalent.
• Botany experience
• Experience in the field of Environmental Impact Assessment and Planning, ideally in NSW.
• Understanding of environmental legislation, planning instruments, government policies and their application to environmental impact assessment and the preparation of environmental planning applications.
• Located on the picturesque far North Coast of NSW, bordering the Gold Coast.
• The Tweed is a vibrant, diverse location offering a lifestyle near the water, in a rainforest or on a farm.
• Tweed Shire Council is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
• Join an employer of choice. Professionals Australia (Local Government Engineers’ Association) has named Council the 2021 Employer of Choice for our great employment practices within NSW local government.
Where it's located:
This position is based in Murwillumbah, and can be directed to work from any Council work site.
Friday 24 February 2023 at 12 noon sharp (NSW time). Late applications will not be permitted.
Tweed Shire Council conducts pre-employment assessments as part of its recruitment process.
Job offers are not made until screening has been completed. Tweed Shire Council uses third-party providers to undertake:
• Pre-employment medical – some roles require a functional (physical) assessment, and all positions are subject to drug and alcohol screening (a positive test result means the recruitment process ends and your application will not be considered).
• Background screening - verifies that the information you have provided throughout the recruitment process is true and correct..
Reference Checks are undertaken by the panel. Your 2 referees should ideally be your current and most recent supervisors. Your referees are not contacted unless you’ve been interviewed and are a preferred candidate.
This position is identified as at risk of contracting vaccine-preventable/manageable diseases and as a consequence impacted employees are strongly recommended to participate in Council’s workplace vaccination program.
How To Apply:
You must use your own email address, and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with council.
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields:
• Have your Resume document ready to go.
• Fill out all questions below..
• You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable)..
• Review your application to confirm everything is correct..
If you'd like to COPY and PASTE selection criteria fields into a separate Word document to work on over time, please find them listed below:
1. Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology (Botany/Zoology), Environmental Engineering, Environmental Planning, or equivalent.
2. Specialist expertise in one or more of the following disciplines: Ecology (Zoology and/or Botany), Soils, Water, Air, Noise, Contaminated Land Assessment, Construction Environmental Management or similar, and a high level of demonstrated experience in the field of Environmental Impact Assessment and Planning.
3. Advanced understanding of environmental legislation, planning instruments, government policies and their application to environmental impact assessment and the preparation of environmental planning applications.
4. Demonstrated competence in the preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIS, SEE and REF).
5. Demonstrated practical experience in field surveys related to environmental impact assessment and environmental management.
6. Ability to prepare complex reports including construction environmental management plans, threatened species management plans and habitat restoration plans or the like.
7. Demonstrated high level research, written and oral communication skills.
8. Demonstrated ability to manage projects and their associated budgets.
9. Demonstrated ability to use computer applications including word, excel, GIS and other data management systems.
10. Demonstrated capacity to engage and supervise consultants and contractors.
11. Current Vehicle Licence - Car.
12. Post Graduate qualifications or other qualifications in a related discipline
13. Demonstrated understanding of engineering issues involved in the construction of public infrastructure.
OFFICE USE ONLY
Natural Resource Management
Natural Resource Management
Murwillumbah NSW Australia
Jobs in Murwillumbah NSW Australia
Environmental Scientist (Botanist) Murwillumbah NSW jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.