Ascension Island Government
Ascension Island Government South Africa (+1 other) South Africa
3 months ago
Ascension is a small volcanic island, situated in the South Atlantic, with a warm stable climate (26-34°C). Ascension is part of the wider British Overseas Territory of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. It is situated approximately 1,000 miles from the mainland of Africa and it is 800 miles from its nearest neighbour, the island of St Helena. To thrive here you must be resilient, adaptable and able to live in an incredibly small community.
To ensure our on-going compliance with H&S practices and further develop a strong culture of health & safety, we’re looking for an experienced Health and Safety professional to lead on the development and on-going management of our H&S systems, policies and practice. This role will be responsible for developing improvement strategies and plans, advising staff and managers on all aspects of H&S matters in the workplace and ensuring safe working practice and standards across all of AIG’s functions.
We’re looking to recruit... an experienced professional, to lead this critical function of AIG’s operations. We welcome applications from a qualified H&S professional (eg NEBOSH) who has significant practical experience of working in a similar role, within the context of an ISO certified operation. Experience of delivering this role in either construction, engineering or a similar operational setting is essential. With experience of managing a small team of people, you’ll also have the knowledge, credibility and communication skills to effectively influence and engage internal and external stakeholders in building a strong QHSE culture across all aspects of AIG.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Ensure that AIG Health & Safety systems, policies and processes are established, implemented, reviewed and maintained and periodically reviewed.
• Develop Health & Safety improvement strategies and plans across AIG and prepare regular management reports on performance and compliance.
• Carry out risk assessments across all of AIG’s operations and advise on risk reduction strategies in the workplace and project planning risk assessment and implementation
• Lead or facilitate regular and relevant in-house Health & Safety training.
• Working with functional specialists in each area of operation and/or team leaders, set standards and safe working practices, advise on safety aspects across the diverse specialist areas of operation within AIG, eg safe machine and equipment usage, disposal of hazardous materials such as waste, etc.
• Working with functional specialists in each area of operation and/or team leaders, advise on and assist in formulating and monitoring appropriate standards of quality assurance and control, across all areas of operation within AIG, eg performance standards, service level agreements, periods of review etc.
• Develop and manage internal and periodic external audit plans for safety according to established industry norms.
• Manage the corporate responsibility for the safety of staff and visitors in the office and work environments.
• Establish an improved Health & Safety culture within AIG by creating and managing an effective Health & Safety Committee, with designated operational safety, first aid and fire officers.
• Advise management and staff on all aspects of Health & Safety matters in the workplace focusing on zero tolerance of non-compliance.
• Continuous development – responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and advising management and staff in respect of Health & Safety changes in legislation and practices.
Desired Experience & Qualification
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
• Qualification or certificated training courses in Health & Safety such as NEBOSH, C & G, or similar.
• Extensive practical Health & Safety related experience
• Experience of working in construction, engineering, manufacturing or similar practical operational situations with strong safety and quality standards.
• Disciplined, methodical and with excellent attention to detail and a proactive approach to resolving problems.
• Ability and an empathetic attitude towards sharing knowledge and best practice of Health & Safety across management and staff.
• Professional with a personable approach to communicating effectively whilst able to effectively and constructively challenge staff and management at all levels.
• Clean driving licence for class A & B vehicles.
• NEBOSH, NCRQ or C&G Level 5 diploma in safety (desirable) or willingness to work towards (essential)
• Experience of managing safety assurance standards aligned to marine, medical, plant and machinery and complex multidisciplinary working environments as well as the provision of administrative and community services
• Experience of working in remote or challenging locations.
Package & Remuneration
In addition to an annual salary of £16,250 (taxable on Ascension), the role attracts an Accompanied status contract and the following benefits:
• Rent free accommodation (value £400+ per month).
• A food allowance of £6,700 pa accompanied or £3,350 pa single status.
• An electricity allowance worth £938 pa.
• A water allowance worth £2720 pa accompanied or £1,360 single status.
• Relocation costs for your personal effects, including the shipment of a vehicle.
• One mid-contract return journey to your country of recruitment.
• A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2-year contract.
• 30 days annual holiday (with additional 9 days public holidays).
• Free primary dental and medical care and medical referral or medivac provision if required.
• Free schooling of dependent children up to 16 years.
• Free annual travel insurance.
Closing Date: 3 March 2023
Interviews: week commencing 13 March (by Skype if off island)
For more information, job descriptions and any questions about the role please email [email protected]
South Africa (+1 other)
Jobs in South Africa (+1 other) South Africa
Health & Safety Officer South Africa (+1 other) jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.