Modern Synthesis London United Kingdom
1 month ago
Modern Synthesis is a venture-backed startup crafting the next generation of biomaterials by connecting the dots between biology, material science and design.
We’re on a mission to create sustainable materials which reduce the fashion industry’s dependence on petrochemicals - without sacrificing performance or creativity.
Our first material, which is grown by bacteria, is fully biodegradable and astonishingly strong. You can read more about it on our website.
We believe that big magic happens when disparate disciplines, perspectives and ideas collide.
As a team of biologists, chemists, designers, engineers, business experts, robots and microbes, we get to witness this magic on a daily basis. From our strong culture of debate (hot takes always welcome 🌶️) to our bi-weekly deep dives, we intentionally embed collaboration and growth into everything we do.
In line with this, we’re committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within both our... organisation and the wider bioeconomy. The way we see it, a diverse and inclusive team is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s 1+1=3, which not only creates a rich work environment, but also makes good business sense.
We hire people, not roles, so we can be flexible on scope. We strongly encourage you to apply if you think you’re qualified for a portion of this role, and can demonstrate a proven ability to take on new skills and challenges.
We are looking for a versatile Production Technician who loves making and producing materials.
You are someone who takes pride in executing your assigned process in a precise and accurate way. You are eager to continuously improve and adapt within evolving processes.
You will work closely with our product development team to produce custom samples to the highest standards, for internal and external partners. You will be a key support for our material development. You’ll work on our sample production line, operating equipment and light machinery including our robotic weaving system “Warpbot”. You will provide feedback to our technical teams to help develop tools and processes for the creation of bio-fabricated materials.
You’ll be working in a fast paced start-up with great opportunities for learning and growth. This is a unique opportunity to get hands-on experience shaping future textile manufacturing. We can’t promise it’ll always be glamorous, but we can promise it’ll be exciting!
Daily workshop activities:
• Produce the highest quality material on our pilot production and trials for product development
• Operate and maintain production equipment such as presses, heat rollers and other light machinery. Operate & maintain our custom robotic weaving systems (“Warpbot”) for production and sample generation
• Collect and log precise production data (yields, quality checks, various product metrics) and present to the team
• Follow our standard operating procedures, ensuring quality and consistency throughout the production process
• Maintain a clean, professional and presentable workshop/lab environment
• Work closely with the Biology Lab Technician to establish & ensure seamless production workflow
• Keep an updated production stock inventory and order supplies
• Execute daily lab protocol including cleaning and maintenance of lab equipment
Production & Material development:
• Provide feedback and advice for optimisation and development of current production technology & materials
• Support the Product Team in product & materials development
• Research and source new required machinery and tools
• Liaise with internal and external partners and experts to solve complex technical problems
Health and Safety:
• Follow and ensure high standards of health and safety
• Assist with improving SOPs and risk assessments
• Arrange maintenance, servicing and calibration of equipment
• Able to lift and move 3kg often
• Comfortable working standing for up to 4 hours per day
• Comfortable wearing PPE (gloves, goggles, face mask) when required
We welcome applicants that don’t necessarily tick all the boxes. If you feel that you tick most of them and are willing to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply.
• Undergraduate degree (i.e. Engineering, Textile Engineering, Textiles or related) or two years relevant experience of working in a production environment (i.e. textile manufacturing, industrial food processing, fabrication, technician or related)
• Experience operating sensitive machinery
• Adapt mechanical understanding
• Systematic and detail oriented thinking
• Very good problem solving skills: open to invent and find unusual solutions to unusual problems
• Reliable and trustworthy with solid time-management skills
• Proficiency in office & communication tools (G-Suite, MS Office)
• Strong interpersonal skills - able to work with and support team members from different backgrounds and disciplines
• Interest in the intersection of fashion, materials and biology
Bonus points for:
• Experience in textile manufacturing
• Experience on roll-to-roll manufacturing lines
• Experience in quality control and with material testing equipment and protocols
• Knowledge & experience operating CAM machines (CNC, Laser Cutter, toolpath generation)
• Experience working in a lab environment (e.g. chemistry or microbiology lab)
• Brand new, dog-friendly office and lab in South West London
• Interdisciplinary team with opportunities for growth and career progression
• Flexible working, both in terms of working hours and location
• Tailored development support from world-leading experts and advisors
• Bike to work scheme
• Private health insurance including dental and vision stipends
• Regular company events
• Enhanced parental leave policy
• Potential to create real, positive impact
Manager: Andreas Kamolz (Senior Manager Design Engineering)
Salary: £24,000- £30,000 per year
Desired start date: April 2023
Please note you must have the right to work in the UK to apply for this job, as we do not currently have capacity to sponsor.
OUR HIRING PROCESS
Round 0. Apply online with a cover letter (or introduction to yourself in another format) and CV
Round 1. 30 minute exploratory interview where we’ll dive into your work history and motivations for applying to Modern Synthesis.
Round 2. 1 hour skills interview where we’ll explore the experience and knowledge you’ll bring to this role.
Round 3. An in-person interview with a multi-disciplinary panel to see how well we think you would work with the wider team.
We recognise recruitment is not one-size-fits-all and we're happy to tailor this process to better meet the needs of individual applicants. Please email [email protected] with any requests for support
Textile Production Technician London jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.