Geneva Call Khartoum Sudan
4 months ago
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call’s mission is to ensure that armed groups and de facto authorities respect International Humanitarian Law and basic humanitarian principles in the areas where they fight or they control.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Country Director has a representative role in the country assigned, provides managerial leadership and oversight to ensure Geneva Call’s effective performance in the country of her/his assignment. The incumbent manages budgets... between CHF 1 million and above. Reporting to the Head of Region, the Country Director is responsible and accountable for translating organisational objectives and policies into effective programme delivery that brings impact and results to the people we serve. The Country Director works with his/her team to identify strategic objectives and develop coherent, consistent and effective responses to the challenges faced. He/she is responsible for ensuring the adequate provision of technical support and guidance to the office to enable them to fulfil their accountabilities.
The Country Director works to ensure that Geneva Call is widely perceived as an effective and trusted partner. S/he is responsible for creating effective networks, relationships, partnerships, and synergies with all stakeholder groups including but not limited to governments, NGOs, relevant regional political and other fora, civil society, local populations and all other key strategic partners and actors. He/she lends visibility to important strategic issues, promotes concerted action and the commitment of sufficient resources and expertise to address important matters of concern to Geneva Call. In a complex and demanding political and operational environment, the Country Director strives to build a dynamic and enthusiastic team. S/he devolves appropriate authorities, facilitates the sharing of expertise and best practice and creates a climate of collaboration, which aims to empower and motivate colleagues to approach challenges with insight and innovation and to work toward achieving measurable and effective results. The Country Director is responsible to ensure a vibrant Multi-Functional Team approach is established and employed at all stages of the operations management cycle, including in programme monitoring, and engaging the participation of all relevant functions within the operation. S/he has a responsibility to inform the Regional Head and other relevant parties at Headquarters of key political and operational developments in a timely manner. The actions of the Country Director must at all times reflect the core values and principles embodied in Geneva Call’s mandate and codes of conduct.
Country Director Accountablities
Geneva Call has an agreed, annual country strategy to protect and find solutions for the populations by working and engaging with armed non state actors operating both in the country and surrounding region that is aligned with the multi-year strategic plan as approved by the Board. Geneva Call is fully engaged with the partners in the field and relevant stakeholders who will impact the outcome of Geneva Call’s work.Geneva Call’s policies and standards are applied consistently within the country operation to ensure quality programme delivery in a sustained and agreed way.Resources are commensurate with operational objectives and are allocated and managed effectively to meet the country/regional operation’s objectives.Geneva Call provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce in the country.
Country Director Responsibilities
• Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the local political context.
• Manage a consultative process within the country operations and with external partners.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that generates political and financial support for Geneva Call’s operations.
• Mobilise financial support for Geneva Call’s priorities as well for country specific projects.
• Implement a results-oriented approach, engaging a robust Multi-Functional Team, for assessing, designing, delivering and monitoring the country operation.
• Ensure that the country strategy is fully integrated into the country operation plan and that necessary resources are budgeted and allocated appropriately.
• Ensure the country operation’s adherence to Geneva Call’s policies.
• Ensure the country operation plans are consistent with the regional and global strategic plan; manage a participatory process, with all stakeholders, to apply Geneva Call’s standards and indicators in assessing and measuring the performance of the country operations.
• Ensure the engagement of Geneva Call in the international humanitarian, and diplomatic community, as well as establishing contact with government and local authorities.
• Ensure that risks to the operation’s objectives are regularly assessed, priority risks are identified and risk treatments for the priority risks form an integral part of the operations plans.
• Ensure that staff and financial resources are aligned with operational objectives.
• Ensure effective and efficient management of resources within the rules and procedures of Geneva Call.
• Establish and manage local administrative mechanisms such as procurement and asset management.
• Ensure local compliance with Geneva Call’s human resources (HR) policies including on gender, disabilities, diversity, ethics and COVID or similar.
• Manage a process of recruitment, assignment and reassignment of local staff for the country operation, in accordance Geneva Call’s rules and procedures.
• Identify the most appropriate workforce in accordance with the approved budget and optimise its use.
• Exercise effective managerial oversight, direction, guidance and support and conduct regular performance appraisals and coaching.
• Ensure that Geneva Call’s work is promoted and that donors receive quality project proposals showcasing Geneva Call’s value proposition in a clear and professional manner.
• Build relationships with donors in-country and pro-actively pursue donors in a bid to receive funding for Geneva Call’s work.
• Develop and implement an approved fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the country objectives and expected results and impact.
• Develop and review all technical and financial proposals before submission to the Budget Committee and ensure they are contextual and address specific needs in line with expected outcomes.
• In close collaboration with the Security focal point of the concerned Regional desk of Geneva Call, gather and analyse information on the local security situation and play an active role in discussions at national level with similar organisations and multi-lateral agencies as appropriate.
• Ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to protect staff, and that the country operation complies with security rules, guidelines and procedures.
• Represent Geneva Call in the Humanitarian Sector at country-level.
• Contribute to the country strategy and priorities, country operations plans, and results.
• Enforce local compliance with Geneva Call’s global strategic approach, programme, finance and human resources and security policies and standards.
• Negotiate and present to HQ local agreements with implementing and operational partners in accordance with the Delegation of Authority.
• Authorise payments as per Geneva Call’s Delegation of Authority and in accordance with relevant rules and procedures.
• Modify operational projects and reallocate funds, within the approved budgets and in respect of donor earmarking.
• High-level management skills practiced political decision-making and negotiating, as well as demonstrated tolerance to frequently changing and highly charged situations.
• Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting.
• Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of operations.
• Ability to manage for results: translate strategic aims into achievable plans, with established priorities, monitors them, making periodic adjustments as required.
• Ability to effectively represent Geneva Call at external meetings and to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
• Extensive knowledge/understanding of Geneva Call’s or similar type organisation’s operations and services.
• Graduate (equivalent of a Master’s) degree in Political Science, Social Science, International Relations.
• Written and Oral proficiency in English.
• Additional language skills of the country of operation would be an asset.
• Proven track record of management of field structures of of INGOs and NGOs in conflict and emergency contexts.
• Proven experience in project management, budget and finance management and managing multi-functional diverse teams.
• Minimum of 8 years relevant field experience in a humanitarian organisation working in conflict settings with at least 3 years as field manager or similar position.
• Ability to grow/develop a field structure by attracting local and international resources and building partnerships.
• Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors.
• Solid leadership and project management skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Developed planning and organising experience.
• Mature and responsible approach.
• Excellent dispute resolution, facilitation and team building skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and in conflict-affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• Job Description
• Action plan
• Performance Review Template
• Position : Country Director
• Type of contract: Fixed term contract, International position
• Activity rate: 100%
• Work place: Khartoum, Sudan
• Preferred start date: March 1st, 2023.
No later than January 31st, 2023.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.
• Job City Khartoum
Country Director – Sudan (International) 198 views0 applications Khartoum jobs
Copyright © 2023 Fonolive. All rights reserved.