UNDP as a Global Organization: UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion while promoting sustainable and green pathways to development.
The UN Secretary-General has also proposed since 2018 - that UNDP be repositioned as the integrator platform at the heart of a new generation of UN Country Teams, complementing its programmatic mandate. The breadth of expertise and country presence of UNDP makes it indeed unique within the UN Development System to help countries "connect the dots" on the most complex sustainable development issues. Given this and its reputation as an impartial partner, UNDP helps Governments to convene across line ministries and development partners to promote "whole-of government" and "whole-of-society" responses vital to address development challenges as intricate as multi-dimensional poverty, gender inequities and climate change.
UNDP in... Iran: In I.R. Iran, UNDP has been working since 1966 to contribute to fulfil the countrys development aspirations as a partner of the Government of Iran. UNDP has also been engaging closely with other development partners, such as academic institutions and the private sector, by providing knowledge products, policy and technical assistance, and innovative development solutions, for more than 50 years. Connecting to UNDP Global network of expertise and South-South cooperation are an integral part of our work. UNDP is committed to helping Iran achieve the National Development Goals (NDP) and the Global Goals (SDG) as articulated in the Country Programme Document.
Against this backdrop, UNDP Iran plays two key roles both of which entail close collaboration with government and other partners. On the one hand, it fulfils UNDPs development mandate by developing and implementing projects, mobilizing resources in the following three areas: Environmentally Sustainable Development, Health and Development, and Resilient Economy (socio-economic). On the other hand, it also delivers on its integrator role, engaging with the UN Resident Coordinator Office, sister UN agencies and other public and private partners: UNDP given its broad mandate and capacity, adopts a broad, system-view perspective in the analysis and in the design of innovative and sustainable solutions to a broader range of development challenges under the purview of the entire UN development system in Iran.
As a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic, UNDP is fully engaged in supporting a new development paradigm (a new normal) looking at digitalization, resilience and a more balance approach with nature in terms of economic development.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT (Information Communication Technology) Analyst, the ICT Assistant provides ICT and administrative support services to the office. S/he provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The ICT Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions: Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies. Ensures effective functioning of the CO (Country Office) hardware and software packages. Supports networks administration and digitization. Provides administrative support. Provides web management services. Facilitates of Video Conferences and Communications in the office. Promotes and facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results: Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment. Support to the use of Atlas (UNDPs implementation of PeopleSoft ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)) functionality for improved business results and improved client services. Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs). Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results: Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs. Assistance in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades Assistance in upgrading patch and anti-virus programs on a timely basis. Monitoring of file server traffic, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis. Support to users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
3. Supports networks administration and digitization, focusing on achievement of the following results: Assistance in trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems. Response to user needs and questions regarding network access. Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
4. Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results: Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware. Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials. Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit. Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Extraction of data from various sources. Research and retrieval of l data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required. Provision of ICT support to key events.
5. Provides web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results: Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency (e.g. office management systems, donor profile software, knowledge management systems). Technical maintenance of the UNDP CO websites and Intranet. Provision of technical advice on web management to other agencies as required and monitoring preparation of bills for cost-recovery for the services provided.
6. Ensures facilitation of Video Conferences and Communications in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results: Installs, configures and tests audio, video conference and desktop video conference hardware/software using available communication and network connectivity. Provides support in meetings preparation by preparing and configuring conference hardware in various locations and operates equipment during conferences. Provides support and training for new users of conference systems and applications.
7. Promotes and facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results: Participation and assistance in the organization of training for the CO staff on ICT issues. Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Core Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 2: Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise, relevant recommendations
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow Level 2: Proactively identifies new opportunities and challenges
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 2: Takes ownership of responsibilities
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 2: Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 2: Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services
Technical/Functional Knowledge Management and Learning: Ability to develop systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge Level 2: Execute & Learn: Execute & Learn: Perform defined tasks
Development and Operational effectiveness: Ability to provide IT (Information Technology) support services including hardware/infrastructure support, ERP support and other IT application support Level 2: Execute & Learn: Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
Job knowledge/technical expertise: Has fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures Level 2:Execute & Learn:Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
IT Systems: Knowledge of IT innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations Level 2:Execute & Learn:Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
IT Security Management: Knowledge of IT security management concepts, processes, and innovations and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations Level 2:Execute & Learn:Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
Network and IT Infrastructure Management: Ability to manage IT network and infrastructure Level 2:Execute & Learn:Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
IT Customer Support: Ability to support internal customers with IT assistance Level 2:Execute & Learn:Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience: Minimum 5 years (with secondary education) of experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities or 2 years of relevant experience with Bachelors Degree or equivalent or higher. Knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications, and experience in web design and development of web-based office applications would be assets.
Language Requirements: Good written and spoken English and Farsi. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS (General Support) categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web Tehran Tehran Province Iran
ICT Assistant Tehran United Nations Development Programme Tehran