- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
- Foreign candidates, to be considered eligible for this position, must have a temporary or permanent residence in Ecuador that allows them to carry out work activities in the country.
Duties and Qualifications
A. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Work activity will be based in Guayaquil and Manta, in the office of the UNHCR with regular visit to Government and Partner Offices. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office in Guayaquil, the Contractor shall be responsible for:
- Assist in the implementation of UNHCR registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern. - Assist in implementing of Registration and Data Entry Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in accordance with relevant standards and policies. - Assist in the monitoring and daily running of registration activities by DPIN and enrollment and identity and individual case... management activities by UNHCR and HIAS, where required. - Assist and conduct continuous registration and enrollment interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance. - Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers, refugees and persons of concerns regarding registration and enrollment procedures and their rights and entitlements. - Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all registration and enrollment cases. - Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required. - Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming. - Assist in training of UNHCR, Government and Partners staff in aspects of registration and data collection. - Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration and enrollment activities in the operation, when required. - Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration and enrollment data, as requested. - Maintain data security in line with UNHCR's Data Protection Policies and Guidelines. - Ability to travel to remote locations when required. - Perform other related duties as required by supervisor and Head of Field Office.
B. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Conduct regular data quality check and clean-up; - Provide weekly and monthly data quality assurance reports; - Provide weekly and monthly statistics on registration, enrollment, protection and assistances; - Provide monthly data audit reports and analysis;
C. Qualifications and Experience (List the required education, work experience, expertise and competencies of the individual contractor. The listed education and experience should correspond with the level at which the contract is offered.)
c.1. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
- University Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, Information Management, Information Technology or related fields.
c.2. Work Experience
- Previous job experience relevant to the function (internships count as well). - Experience in training. - Basic knowledge of the principles of protection, registration and assistance to asylum seekers, refugees and other persons on concern. - Experience in working with identity management software or database. - Good knowledge of handling confidential and statistical data. - Good computer skills, particularly in data entry and management. - Working knowledge of English and excellent knowledge of Spanish.
- Analytical Thinking - Technological Awareness - Planning, organizing, and adaptation to work under pressure - Negotiation and respect for cultural diversity. - Political Awareness
- Working knowledge of English and excellent knowledge of Spanish.
- Technical test will be administered.
- If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your application according to the following instructions:
EXTERNAL CANIDATES: Candidates who do NOT have access to the MSRP system should submit their application through UNHCR's official site for applications:
(In case of technical problems, please enter with a different browser).
For any technical issues encountered during the online application, please contact the Global Service Desk ([email protected]) prior to the deadline to allow sufficient time to resolve issues. For any questions about the selection process, contact Human Resources ([email protected]).
CVs WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY EMAIL. ONLY THOSE APPLICATIONS SENT BY THE SYSTEM WILL BE CONSIDERED. ======================================================================================================== See below for this postion's Operational Context ========================================================================================================
Ecuador is part of the United Nations Convention of 1951 relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, as well as major international and regional human rights instruments that recognize the right to asylum. It is also part of the United Nations Convention of 1954 relating to the Status of Stateless Persons and the United Nations Convention of 1961 on the Reduction of Statelessness. The asylum procedure in Ecuador is regulated by the Organic Law of Human Mobility, effective February 6, 2017 ".
Ecuador is a country of transit and destination for people who need international protection. In the last two decades, Ecuador hosted more than 68,708 recognized refugees (mainly Colombian) and has become one of the leading countries of transit and destination for refugees and migrants Venezuelans. Ecuador receives the second highest number of Venezuelans after Colombia. Since 2016, more than 4.7 million Venezuelans have left their country, making it the biggest exodus in the history of Latin America. Of these, 2.2 million have entered Ecuador, of which 400,000 Venezuelans have been established in the country.
In 2019, approximately 2,100 Venezuelans per day entered Ecuador (with peaks of 6,000) until 26 August, when Ecuador began requiring visas for Venezuelans. Since 2018, the number of Venezuelan asylum seekers exceeded the number of asylum seekers from Colombia. According to monitoring protection of UNHCR, in 2019, nearly four out of ten Venezuelans did to the least part of their journey on foot, and three in ten have specific needs (pregnant women, unaccompanied or separated children, people with disabilities or catastrophic and elderly diseases).
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees works in Ecuador supporting the Ecuadorian government to protect refugees. UNHCR's operation in Ecuador began in 2000 as part of the strategy of the organization to protect and provide assistance, particularly to the victims of the Colombian conflict. The operation aims to support the Government of Ecuador to: (i) the development of mechanisms of protection, (ii) strengthening national asylum system, (iii) and identification of durable solutions for refugees.
The operation of UNHCR in Ecuador has a multiyear Protection Strategy and Solutions for the period 2018 - 2020, which encompasses the dimensions of the legal, economic and social protection of refugees in Ecuador and which have a decisive role the approaches to gender, ethnicity, and age and other diversities.
The closing date is Wednesday 02 June, 00h00 Geneva Time (Tuesday 01 June, 17h00, Ecuador Time Guayaquil Ecuador
Registration Assistant (UNOPS - LICA 4 - GYE - USD 1671) - 27100 Guayaquil United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Guayaquil