Place d'Armes is a public square in Montreal. In its center there stands a monument which is dedicated to the memory of Paul de Chomedey, a city founder. The square is bordered by several important buildings including Notre-Dame Basilica, Saint-Sulpice Seminary, the New York Life building (1887), the art deco Aldred building (1931), Bank of Montreal head office (1859), and 500 Place d'Armes (1968).
As well as starting off as one of Montreal's financial centers, this public square also served as a cemetery as well as battlefield. In 1644 it was the site of a famous military confrontation between Paul de Chomedy and a chief from the Iroquois tribe. On this occasion Chomedy came out as the victor. Much later in 1760 Place D'Armes was where members of the French army surrendered after British forces captured the city.
When it was initially developed in 1693 Place d'Armes was called Place de la Fabrique at the request of the Society of Saint- Sulpice. It became Place d'Armes in 1721 when it was the site of a number of military operations. From 1781 until 1813 the square was used as a hay and wood garden which was then transformed into a Victorian garden in 1836.
Place d'Armes was underwent a number of renovations throughout the years; most recently from 2009 to 2011.
The public square features a hundred year old water fountain which serves to commemorate the founding of the city of Montreal. On the base of the fountain can be found a representation of Pilote, a dog whose barking is said to have warned de Maisonneuve and his men of an impending attack by the Iroquois in 1644
The monument of Paul de Chomedy was designed by artist Louis-Phillippe Hebert. It commemorates Chomedey's military defence against the Iroquois in the early days of the European settlement of New France.
One of the metro stations on Montreal's orange subway line is named after Place d'Armes.